Whirlpool dryer WED5521SQ0 takes too long to dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have a Whirlpool dryer model WED5521SQ0 which is about 4.5 yrs old. Lately we noticed that it takes much longer to dry a typical load. What used to take 40-45 mins now takes about twice that. I regularly clean the lint filter and the anti-bird mesh that sits on top of the air exhaust outside. I also help my hand for a few seconds against the exhaust while the dryer machine was running and it was blowing pretty hard. So I think the problem is not with clogging, at least not outside the machine. What else can be wrong? How do i figure out exactly? Do you think this would be worth replacing or is it time to get a new dryer?

Thanks much!

searching this model number indicates that this is an electric dryer, not gas.
check to see if the heating coils are coming on.
to do this simply start the cycle with the door open and the door switch engaged.
look for an orange glow (similar to a bread toaster) in the back of the dryer that would indicate the heating element is coming on.

searching this model number indicates that this is an electric dryer, not gas.
check to see if the heating coils are coming on.
to do this simply start the cycle with the door open and the door switch engaged.
look for an orange glow (similar to a bread toaster) in the back of the dryer that would indicate the heating element is coming on.

I will check but I am pretty sure that coil comes on since the air that is coming out of the exhaust is hot. I don't know whether it's cooler than it used to be since I never felt it before but it's definitely hotter than surrounding air. Can it be that the coil does not come on fully? Thanks

Hi,

Lately we noticed that it takes much longer to dry a typical load. What used to take 40-45 mins now takes about twice that

A copy:

Q: Dryer takes too long to dry or multiple times to dry a load.
A1: Pull the dryer out away from the wall. Unhook the vent from the dryer completely. Do not put anything over the dryer exhaust on the back of the dryer. Do a normal load with the vent unhooked. If it dries better or ok like this then the problem is in the dryer venting. Like a blocked vent pipe or a smashed or restricted vent hose.
A2: If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground. Check the exhaust temperature of the dryer. A meat thermometer or pocket thermometer can be used for this. It should cycle approx between 120 degrees and 160 degrees ( without clothes ). Check that the drum seals are not worn out.

jeff.

Back