Replacing grout with caulk in tile-to-hardwood entryway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmwest

Reaction score
My entryway is ~5" ceramic tiles within a hardwood floor. The tile transitions to the hardwood and the grout between the tile and hardwood is falling out. (My wife and I were tipped off to it when we saw moisture on the floor below it, in the basement). A good portion of the grout along this perimeter came out in chunks, and some is cracked but most of it is still solid; when I took out the chunks there also seemed to be caulk in places under the grout. It's maybe 1/4" wide and deep. I've read some places to use caulk instead of grout here.

1) What should I use? I bought pre-mixed grout but haven't used any of it yet
2) If I should use caulk, what kind
3) In either case do I need to remove the whole perimeter of grout first?

Thanks

My entryway is ~5" ceramic tiles within a hardwood floor. The tile transitions to the hardwood and the grout between the tile and hardwood is falling out. (My wife and I were tipped off to it when we saw moisture on the floor below it, in the basement). A good portion of the grout along this perimeter came out in chunks, and some is cracked but most of it is still solid; when I took out the chunks there also seemed to be caulk in places under the grout. It's maybe 1/4" wide and deep. I've read some places to use caulk instead of grout here.

1) What should I use? I bought pre-mixed grout but haven't used any of it yet
2) If I should use caulk, what kind
3) In either case do I need to remove the whole perimeter of grout first?

Thanks

#3. Probably, to attain a color match is unlikely.
#1. Vinyl modified sanded grout is moisture resistant.
#2 There are vinyl modified caulks with aggregate available.

Yep, chip out the old grout and replace with an epoxy type grout. That stuff is tough.

Go get a matched color tile caulk. The grout will become loose again because the wood floor expands and contracts to a degree but the tile doesn't.

Use caulking, there's too much movement for grout; either the grout or the wood wil let go.
Coloriteinc makes 300 colors of silicone caulk so you can certainly find a good match :)

Phil

I apologize that I did not read the part where you were referring to the transition. I also agree to use a flexible caulk, which will stop that cracking.

Back