Best, longest lasting paint or coating on metal.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

I am building some gates at my house and am looking for the best coating I can put in them. I don't want to be scraping and sanding in a couple years. The color will be a bronze or dark brown if that matters.

I assumed the gates were fabricated from steel. It’s an automotive paint mostly used on large trucks we painted locomotives with it for many years until we had to shift to high solid paints. If you are doing it yourself make sure to have the proper respirator filtering mask required. It hangs on like grim death.

I forgot you were on the left coast.

I think out there the best you can use is finger paints. You can get them at most kindergarten supply stores.

I will be fabricating the gates myself out of steel. Might be time for a road trip to get paint.

Powder coating you will be limited by color and size maybe. When done correctly it can work great but more often than not I find moisture gets in somehow and will start blistering with rust. I haven’t had great luck with powder coat.

Check with some local small auto body guys. Most will take on side jobs painting anything and will know what paints like Imron they can get. Imron is in a class all by itself.

I want to do the painting myself. I have painted plenty of cars and automotive things. I will go by my paint supplier and see what we can get here. May have to drive to San Diego, they fall under some different laws than the rest of us.

Latest posts

Back