Suggestions on replacing patio's PVC roof panels

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picolin

Reaction score
I have a small patio that was covered with transparent PVC sheets. I liked all the light they let in, but they are all broken and full of holes, so it's time to think about replacing them.

However, since I live in Texas, the sunlight that they let through heats up the room that is adjacent to them. I've been thinking about replacing them with either "tinted" polycarbonate sheets or galvanized panels.

What do you guys think? Is there something out there that I could do that would be a better option?

2012-10-16%2012.31.55.jpg

2012-10-16%2012.32.12.jpg

2012-10-16%2012.32.33.jpg

I'm up in Mesquite. I don't have quite the heat or humidity you have but I used opaque cover made from recycled material. No longer available.

Cant go wrong with metal, get long enough to cover without seams across roof; wasn't made in longer lengths, low slope and seams lead to leaks. Increase the side to side overlap by at least one valley and ridge.

Sound of rain on tin roof is peaceful, sound of metal withstanding typical Texas frog drowner or hail storm reassuring. Neighbors 40 year old tin roof has rusted to aesthetically pleasing color rich folks pay big bucks to match, no off color run off.

BTW put in more soffitt vents, one between the ones you have, push insullation away so air will flow.

When is non-humid time to visit San Antonio? That's why Alamo fell, everybody wilted. That and defenders had to run across street to use Walgreen's rest room. You'd think Daughter's would realize they should put in public restrooms.

They make different and better grades of polycarbonate panels now that would allow light in and last longer then your original panels. The galv. panels would cut out all the light from above and would be harder to install.

Going with solid steel panels will darken the rooms inside considerably. If you're into the "dungeon" look, you'll be happy. But plan on using the inside lights more than you do now.

You won't find much cheaper and easy to install like the product you have. It would have lasted longer if it had 1x4 straping under it.

notmrjohn, I had been considering galvanized panels, but I had been a bit hesitant because of what Precision Home Services and BridgeMan mention, the reduction of light. But, I could do with a little less light, since I have windows galore in that room. I'm a bit ambivalent about the light issue, actually.

nealtw, what do you mean by strapping? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it. Is that the wavy underside that keeps them in shape? Foam closure strips? If so, the polycarbonate that I'm looking into is not exactly wavy, it is more angular:
Suntuf 26 in. x 12 ft. Clear Polycarbonate Roofing Panel Would they still work?

But, one thing that galvanized panels have on their side is that they seem to be cheaper.

Thanks guys, since I didn't hear any horror stories from you, I'll assume that the choice is just up to taste :)

This type of roof needs 2x2 cross pieces to provide under-support for the panels. Downward pressure from rain flexes the panels and can cause premature cracking. I have seen this system with 2x2s at 12" o.c. held in place by deck screws.

Honestly, the junk on the roof obscuring the sunlight looks awful. I would rather have a galvy roof and a couple of small skylights or Solatubes for light. Durability plus light where you want it.

CallMeVilla, wouldn't that be taken care of by those cross pieces already there? See second picture.

I agree it looks ugly.

Ah, that makes sense. Not sure if it's needed or just a best practice, but I'll try to implement this once I remove the old panels.

You may not have the room if you look at the height compared to the house roof. That is why I suggested 1x4.

At least with opaque you won't see the leaves and stuff on top.
Folks, San Antonio is the fourth hottest city in the country, 111 days each year that temperatures reach 90 degrees or higher, average humidity of 70%. Despite the light, the sun is not your friend there. It is not going to be oppressively dark under there, but shady and inviting.
The strapping is just the strips across the rafters, the spacing and thickness depends on rafter spacing and what the roof is, lighter flimsier stuuf needs closer spacing, thicker wood. My stuff needed 2X4's 2 ft spacing on beams 6 feet apart, no rafters. And no matter how close the strapping, polycarbonate like you have does deteriorate in sun and won't withstand a hail storm. ( We recently had softball sized storm lasting over an hour, luckily missed me by 1/4 mile.)
Except for lifting it into place metal may be easiest to install. The strapping is farther apart. Use rubber washered self tapping hex head screws and impact grade socket in driver. You don't have to worry about cracking the metal or as much about distorting it as with "plastics", though wavy filler strips wouldn't hurt. Wooden fillers that fit galvanized are readily available. Getting them and roofing may be cheaper at Farm and Ranch supply, or Feed Store as we usually say here.

There are fancier, more expensive metal roofs, all kinds of profiles and colors, but unless you go real high end they are not as thick as thinner galvanized, and to me at least, just look cheap.

Interesting... I was just asking my coworkers and they recommended Tractor Supply and a couple of lumber yards. I'll add feed stores to my search for galvanized roofing. Thanks for the pointer!

I should have included pics of how I did it . . . Here is the structure. Notice the rafters are topped by the 2x2's. This allows for air circulation. Use deck screws to hold the 2x2s then attach the corrugated per normal. Hope this helps . . . :)

PATIO 1.JPG

PATIO 2.JPG

PATIO 3.JPG

Tractor Supply is a great place its where I got the round posts for my patio cover. But it seems I never remember them untill I get desperate for something. If I had a tractor I might remember better. They have all kinds of heavy galvanized hardware. Various shapes and sizes of stock tanks that are way cheaper than same things from water garden and pond supply stores. Saddle blankets that look like Navajo rugs, cheaper than Chinese navajo rugs. Nifty die cast toy trucks, high detail plastic animals. Kitchen stuff... X-mas gifts for whole family.

I wanted peeled cedar for my poles, I coulda bought them if i didn't wanta eat for a month or two, and no local supply at time. Bought 8'X6" fence posts. Month later neighbor put up smaller cover, peeled logs! But turned out his father in law had a "piece of land." He'd cut um winter B4 and let most of bark weather off.

Heres a pic of the top of post, I dunno why you'd wanta see it, but here it is anyway.

rsz_img_3604.jpg

I saw Villa's after I posted, he's made a sorta shady pergola with a solid translucent roof. There's an idea. And you can contrast his California sophisticated design with my South-West Rustic.

The 2x2s help reduce sun glare and provide support to prevent panel bowing. Think of this as a hybrid design which gets you shade, sun, support and it is easy to build. ;)

Wow, good job on that hybrid roof, it looks nifty!

I found the galvanized panels at McCoys, for $15 a piece. Come next paycheck, that's where I'll get them.

pic, get panels long enough to cover without seams across roof. My panels didn't come that long. Due to shallow pitch and heavy textured surface of panels I get leaf build up causing dams, heavy rains run back under seams and despite multiple recaulkings I still get leaks.Sometimes backups higher than hills of corrugations. I also put full panels on low end so seams are up high, right above where leaves get stuck.:mad:

Also start first panel from side where most folks will see roof, or at opposite side from where most light comes from,longitudinal seams cast a shadow. Your rafters may be in places to cover seams.

Here's pic of underside of mine, notice the seam shadows, because first panel layed was on that far, south, side. And crosswise seam where it leaks.

Villa, its hard to see in this lousy snapshot, but blue and red parrot windchime is souvener of San Diego Old Town, They had other tacky stuff too.;)

IMG_3605.jpg

Tacky red & blue bird is typical of stuff you can buy in San Diego's Old Town area. Our idea of historic is redwood siding covered with stucco . . .

For the roof - my panels are doubled to get the length I wanted, so they do overlap. The pic just doesn't show it. The ledger at the main roof is where the rafters attach. For this project, I used
12" wide rolled galvy flashing which was slipped under the roof shingles, caulk-sealed the full length and nailed. The flashing overlaps the panels by 6", so roof runoff carries fast and does not back up at the connection point of the panels and the roof shingles.

Your rain might be harder . . . but you have to adjust the fall of the patio roof accordingly.

Hope it works out . . . send finished pics.

BARN.jpg

Back