Best way to remove old cellulose insulation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
I've been using the shopvac, but it gets filled up really quick. Is there a way to rig the shopvac so it just sucks it out the window and then i can wet it down and rake it up?

I called a place and they said that it would cost me about 2K to have them come in with their super vacuum. I chose to leave it and add on top.

It's not good stuff that cellulose because it is organic there fore it will be/ or get mouldy. Once it is damp, it will become compressed too, losing the insulation value. So overall would avoid that product, unless you have birds or mice who seem to enjoy it.

I got a 6.5 hp powerful shop vac, extra long hose and extra bin. That way it didn't take that long.

I ended up just dumping it in the back yard, luckly there was some strong winds the next days and took half away, some rain came after wards and i was able to bag it with a shovel.

If it's the old style cellulose, it's not worth the space it occupies. As Bryce indicates, it settles, compresses, breaks down and sustains mold growth. I once asked an energy efficiency expert to calculate the R-value of 12" of 30yr. old cellulose and he informed me that he could not provide the information due to settling, compression and age (today's cellulose is much more effective).
The only thing that pops into my twisted mind is to use a leaf/vac/mulch unit but, hook up the hard tube to the discharge and maybe rig up some flexible duct to extend the discharge to a containment unit of some sort. If all goes right, you should be able to remove it almost as quick as it was installed.

Back