PAR 30 Bulbs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
solved my problem tonight... found one that had a more shallow inside and it works wonderful!

So, the video shows a self-contained LED unit - not just simply a screw-in LED bulb. is that what you got? And why did you choose it? I'm curious to know if it works better / is more cost effective etc.

Hope this is helpful ... Just finished installing about 30 of these retrofit kits for old recessed lights. The LEDs are dimmable and do not hum. The light is really white and quite bright ... brighter than the "squiggly" bulbs which had been there.

The kits are available at Home Depot and manufactured in Canada. They are easy to install per this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqrwlHf7fkc[/ame]

ONE NOTE: A pigtail screws into the standard socket. It clips into the wire connector on the light. They have had manufacturing problems with certain runs on the pigtails ... requiring replacement. The company is excellent at providing new pictails ... free ... and promptly.

Yeah, but why?
Sure the installation is pretty easy looking, but what is the advantage of the this unit over a regular screw-in LED bulb. The earlier video claimed the unit was water resistant, so that's good in a bathroom for instance. It seems like heat is the enemy of the electronics in all of these new bulbs, so how does this unit shed heat?

Warranted for 30 years?! The company won't be around that long!

Warranted for 30 years?! The company won't be around that long!
It seems you're right.
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/519226/technology-is-wiping-out-companies-faster-than-ever/
Kinda' puts a new slant on warranties. :clap:

I guess the companies really believe they will be around forever so a warranty over 20 years is not a lie, it's just very likely a false statement.

Today I have learned something and it's all the fault of that guy from Joisey! :D

BTW, for a long time I lived 6000' W of the GW Bridge.

Last edited:
I guess the companies really believe they will be around forever so a warranty over 20 years is not a lie, it's just very likely a false statement.

Yep. First of all, it's an easy bet for a CEO to make - that the business won't last. It could fold or be sold or they can just change names to avoid their commitments.

But it's not just that. Companies like Nutone are just ignoring their warrantees on old products. I have a Nutone bathroom fixture (light, fan, heater) that I installed about 25 years ago. (first, give them credit that the unit works at all, and that they replaced parts in the early years).

The problem is that it is warranted for life and they are not supporting it any longer. I bought it with that warranty in mind, and I have not breached my part of the deal. Now that it needs a new fan, they are just saying "NO". (just a little rant... didn't mean to pollute the thread)

Yep. First of all, it's an easy bet for a CEO to make - that the business won't last. It could fold or be sold or they can just change names to avoid their commitments.

But it's not just that. Companies like Nutone are just ignoring their warrantees on old products. I have a Nutone bathroom fixture (light, fan, heater) that I installed about 25 years ago. (first, give them credit that the unit works at all, and that they replaced parts in the early years).

The problem is that it is warranted for life and they are not supporting it any longer. I bought it with that warranty in mind, and I have not breached my part of the deal. Now that it needs a new fan, they are just saying "NO". (just a little rant... didn't mean to pollute the thread)
We as buyers always consider life as ,as long as we live, the seller is thinking, the life of the product. Somewhere in the warrentee you will find a well thought out and ambiguous statement that could take them off the hook.

I looked carefully, didn't find any excuse.
Actually for the last several years, whenever a salesman says "it's guaranteed for life", I ask, "whose life, yours or mine?"

Warrenteed against faulty material or workmanship for the life of the product, is somewhat the standard line. Even if you could prove a product should last twice as long, you would be intitled to half you money back or you would pay half price for a new one, that would likely be their wholesale price and they would loose nothing.

Back