new roof advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenstr

Reaction score
Our 20 year old roof is on its last legs, and will be replaced this year. Initially I was thinking aluminum shingles, but at 3X the cost we're having second thoughts. One concern about just using standard shingles is the life of the new shingles and how well the warranty is honored should it be needed.

One vendor told us the new shingles have a realistic life of 8-12 years because of the new shingle construction with fibreglass in them, and that the warranties were generally useless, if they were needed we'd be lucky to to get replacement bundles of shingles to replace bad ones and we'd be on the hook for the labour. This was from an aluminum shingles vendor however, so I am sure his statements were embellished somewhat, but he did show a clip from a CBC consumer program where they showed what he described actually happened.

Anyway, after picking myself up off the floor when I read the quote for Aluminum shingles (almost 40k) I'm getting a couple of quotes from some roofing contractors for shingles. Any advice here on brands, what not to buy, 30 year, 40 year etc.?

Fiberglass in shingles has been done for many, many years. They make "Liftetime" warranty shingles but, as you have mentioned, collecting on the warranty is usually very difficult. The manufacturer will make every attempt to get out from under honoring the warranty. They will tell you that they were not installed correctly, pro-rate the warranty and run you through so much red tape that you give up and just pay for new shingles outside the warranty. If you are successful in getting the shingle warrantied, again, it is a pro-rated warranty and yes, you are responsible for the labor costs to replace them.

There's other options.
Check into metal roofing.
No not the cheap box store type.
Better grades have a 75 plus year warrenty, and are avalible in a rainbow of colors.

Our 20 year old roof is on its last legs, and will be replaced this year. Initially I was thinking aluminum shingles, but at 3X the cost we're having second thoughts. One concern about just using standard shingles is the life of the new shingles and how well the warranty is honored should it be needed.

One vendor told us the new shingles have a realistic life of 8-12 years because of the new shingle construction with fibreglass in them, and that the warranties were generally useless, if they were needed we'd be lucky to to get replacement bundles of shingles to replace bad ones and we'd be on the hook for the labour. This was from an aluminum shingles vendor however, so I am sure his statements were embellished somewhat, but he did show a clip from a CBC consumer program where they showed what he described actually happened.

Anyway, after picking myself up off the floor when I read the quote for Aluminum shingles (almost 40k) I'm getting a couple of quotes from some roofing contractors for shingles. Any advice here on brands, what not to buy, 30 year, 40 year etc.?

There are many options for your roofing problems and not just aluminum shingles. Just make sure that whatever it is that you will use to replace your current roof must be very durable and has a long life span...

Back