retaining wall - advice?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneJeeper

Reaction score
Gang,

There's 100 24lb blocks in the back of my truck, along with 30 capstones.

before i take the plunge, is there any advice beyond the simple how-to's?

Thanks!

What are you trying to build a mortared or a dry stacked wall?

How high?

What kind and size of block?

What are you trying to build a mortared or a dry stacked wall?

How high?

What kind and size of block?

It will be a semi-circular wall, 24 inches high, encompassing a garden. the back wall is the block wall foundation (that has been dry-locked). The blocks are 8x12x6. Since the block has a lip, i hope to keep it dry. If i see shifting, i think i will likely try a 'liquid nail' mortar.

pea gravel provides the drainage.

It sounds like you have retaining wall block that should not be mortared and should not have a concrete footing.

Not all units are the same, so you should look at the retaining wall sites to see how the block should be set.

It sounds like you have retaining wall block that should not be mortared and should not have a concrete footing.

Not all units are the same, so you should look at the retaining wall sites to see how the block should be set.

i'm not afraid of following the directions... i was hoping for some super-slick contractor-experienced short cut.

like " hey lj, if you set them in hot liquid magma they'll set easier".

nothing?

The "super-slick contractors" are probably out of business by now.

Don't use any hot magma to set things in since it is too much trouble, too expensive, does not work and is not easier.

The only problem is that no matter what you do, you will have to pick up something and set it down.

Back