Re-planting Bamboo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTGP

Reaction score
I have found Bamboo for free. I am not sure the type. Roughly 30' tall. Has anyone re-planted Bamboo?

Looking to improve my tropical / privacy back yard.

Take a green stalk and bury it horizontally a two or three inches deep. Each joint will sprout.

Be very careful with bamboo since the wrong varieties (usually given to enemies) can take over everything.

It can be guaranteed to make your back yard private and tropical.

Dick

I heard, note heard being the keyword, that lining the perimeter with rocks buried down like 10 feet or so will keep the stuff from spreading...but leave the rocks off of your neighbors side if you want it to invade their yard lol :)

Last edited:
Free? If you had bamboo, you'd likely pay someone to take it off your hands.

Bamboo can takeover your yard. So, take care. How are you planning to maintain it? The wood is used in making furniture, hand crafted items and lots more. But, you should find some one who will take it off your hands. Else, you will have a major disposal problem because some of the varieties are so fast growing.

I have read that Bamboo can take over your property over night. Pictures to come soon

I have read that Bamboo can take over your property over night. Pictures to come soon

Yeah, the stuff is almost as bad as kudzu! At least bamboo is somewhat attractive and can be used for building a lot of different items lol.

Picture 166 is the area where I am planing to put steps down to the dock. 167 is the dock the steps will be connecting too. 170 & 171 is the area where the steps will be located and fire pit. 168 is the area of tress that I would like to move and plant bamboo. Privacy from our neighbor. Also down on each side of the step area I would like to put bamboo. BUT!! LOL

th_IMAG0166.jpg

th_IMAG0167.jpg

th_IMAG0168.jpg

th_IMAG0170.jpg

th_IMAG0171.jpg

I read an article many years ago (I believe it was in one of the very first issues of Fine Gardening magazine) that showed how someone had used a trenching machine to create a slim, but deep trench that defined the border of the bamboo planting. In this trench, he inserted galvanized sheet metal and backfilled. The sheet metal will not last forever, of course. But perhaps it can do the job until you sell!

Sounds like you intend to plant it anyway regardless of what advice against it was given.
Nothing wrong with that of course, but let us know how it goes.

I read an article many years ago (I believe it was in one of the very first issues of Fine Gardening magazine) that showed how someone had used a trenching machine to create a slim, but deep trench that defined the border of the bamboo planting. In this trench, he inserted galvanized sheet metal and backfilled. The sheet metal will not last forever, of course. But perhaps it can do the job until you sell!

Doesn't even sound like its worth having at that point! I don't care how nice it may look, or whatever other purposes it has, it shouldn't be that much work to define a single aspect of your yard. Completely opinionated I know. Good luck to you though :)

Sounds like you intend to plant it anyway regardless of what advice against it was given.
Nothing wrong with that of course, but let us know how it goes.

I have not done anything at this point. Looking at other options!!!

Bamboo will thrive best with a layer of mulch to protect the roots and rhizomes. Organic mulches are recommended for bamboo and can do wonders for promoting healthy growth. Mulch serves as protection from pests and weeds, while also retaining water and providing nutrients. Compost and dried leaves are the ideal choices. If you are already growing bamboo in your garden you can use leaves from the already plants. Grass is also a sufficient choice. Synthetic mulches will also work if appearance is a concern in your garden, but are not recommended.

Last edited:
Hi I put in bamboo as a privacy screen. I did a lot of prep to contain it and the bamboo has behaved for the most part. I have a retaining wall behind it and bought a heavy plastic barrier from a bamboo website. Pricey but worth it.
If you do your prep you'll be happy with it IMHO

small boo 2.jpg

5-08 bamboo crop2.jpg

march 2012.jpg

Latest posts

Back