Running wires in an old house.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bay between the joists is blocked for the return air to the furnace. If you can see open bays under bedroom one you might be able to remove molding to get into the closet area and down into an open bay and out into the unfinished basement and into the other 2 rooms.

does the walls from upstairs line up with the down stairs ? seems the hall way wall would be load bearing and should. looking at stairs. they do.

if it does. drill up from the basement in the hall wall, to the hall wall upstairs

using your tape maesure. measure from stair opening to hole.

if you wish,,drop a plumb bob down from edge of stair well opening to floor..to make it easier to locate

Layout of upstairs coax.jpg

Layout of downstairs coax.jpg

Last edited:
does the walls from upstairs line up with the down stairs ? seems the hall way wall would be load bearing and should. looking at stairs. they do.

if it does. drill up from the basement in the hall wall, to the hall wall upstairs

using your tape maesure. measure from stair opening to hole.

if you wish,,drop a plumb bob down from edge of stair well opening to floor..to make it easier to locate

Hvac will likely fill that space.

Hvac will likely fill that space.

Yeah, the HVAC is in the way of the way the guy described. That is why I was going to run it to the closet and drop it down. I might try ripping off the hvac duct and putting it back up after getting things run the way I need. Or, I will be taking pictures of the ceiling downstairs and seeing if you all know how to disassemble it. I do not know if it is tongue and groove or how they were put up. If I could just take a small section, 9 blocks or so out of it, it would be easy to route the ethernet the way I would like to. I know that the ceiling definitely does not just lift up like a drop ceiling. I will probably also grab picture of the downstairs hvac situation where I am having troubles working around so people can get a visual of what I am talking about.

Usually some kind of crown molding to take down , then you have to figure out where they finished and work backwards from there if you want to save them. But they give no fire protection at all there would be little loss in loosing them and put up a proper cieling.

you mean to tell me you can not find a 1/2" space in that ceiling because of duct work, for a ethernet wire?????????????????

drill a 1 1/4" hole in the duct, shove a 1" steel pipe thru it. seal both ends
use pipe as a sleeve . been there done that!!!!

Last edited:
Usually some kind of crown molding to take down , then you have to figure out where they finished and work backwards from there if you want to save them. But they give no fire protection at all there would be little loss in loosing them and put up a proper cieling.

Yeah, the edges where the wall meets that isn't finished is held by some nails and I think that is all that is holding up the ceiling on that side for the time being. How much am I looking at for installing a proper ceiling. The basement is the last part of my project for the time being. I may run new electrical throughout the whole house but have not dedicated to it yet. The basement does have a problem of not being level and the previous owner let it get water in it and puddle up so the drywall has been cut 3 feet off of the ground all the way around and the wood throughout the basement has water damage to it that I am pretty sure has been more than just that once. I am sure some are rotten and need to be replaced. I need to level out the floor then seal it all from the inside for now so hopefully there is no more leaking, then I would like to tile most, if not all of it. I have no clue on how exactly I will go about all of this but I am working on one thing at a time.

you mean to tell me you can not find a 1/2" space in that ceiling because of duct work, for a ethernet wire?????????????????

No, what was said is that 3 eves are completely blocked, from where I placed it on the diagram upwards. I cannot see down those eves at all and it happens to be where the coax is heading up.

Eaves are part of the roof. Bay is the area between floor or ceiling joists.
To seal and waterproff the basement, plan on digging around the outside, inside sealing is mostly a waist of time and need to be done again.
Do you have a return air vent near that spot in the living room.

Eaves are part of the roof. Bay is the area between floor or ceiling joists.
To seal and waterproff the basement, plan on digging around the outside, inside sealing is mostly a waist of time and need to be done again.
Do you have a return air vent near that spot in the living room.

I literally just looked at a post, I think by you, when refreshing the page using the term bay area, and I was going to edit my post. Yes, the return vent is right across the 1st closet closest to the living room. The return vent is right around the kitchen corner in the hallway.

Yes, I have heard that waterproofing is best done from the outside but I was hoping to inside seal it just for good measures then reseal the outside, most likely using a company instead of doing it myself. I do have to level off the floor in the basement before all of this though.

So you could run back toward the hall drill thru the bottom plate run around the back of the first closet , drill thru the bottom plate into second closet and around until you are over an open bay. Hide all behind molding.

Fix the drainage and waterproofing first as sometimes working outside is impossible and doing it from the inside is required and trenching thru the floor is part of that job.

So you could run back toward the hall drill thru the bottom plate run around the back of the first closet , drill thru the bottom plate into second closet and around until you are over an open bay. Hide all behind molding.

Fix the drainage and waterproofing first as sometimes working outside is impossible and doing it from the inside is required and trenching thru the floor is part of that job.

Yeah, it looks like I will be routing it behind the baseboard into the first closet at least. Hopefully drilling through the floor there, I will be able to see something and if not I will have to take another option on doing it.

Estimated cost of basement repair based on what you are saying with someone else doing it? I know that everyones prices are different especially with costs, unforseen things, and size of house of course.

Guessing a price is pointless. The trick is to develope your own plan on what needs to be done and then get quotes, that cuts out the BS from slick contractors.

Now we just need to here how you made out running the wire.;)

Guessing a price is pointless. The trick is to develope your own plan on what needs to be done and then get quotes, that cuts out the BS from slick contractors.

Now we just need to here how you made out running the wire.;)

I will be sure to add pictures of what I am doing with the wires and how I will be doing it shortly. I have quite a few projects that I will be asking questions about I am sure.

Back