looking for chimney information

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenchimney

Reaction score
I live in the northeast US. Whole bricks from my chimney fell into the chimney and caused a furnace blow back. The bricks came from the part of the chimney inside the attic, just below the roof line. I had a licensed mason inspect and give me a quote; he said it was probably from the winter we had, ice & snow. Insurance company said it is ONLY from wear and tear. I suspect they are probably both partially correct. Is there any way to tell how long the damage took for sure? Is it possible that this happened in one winter because of the severity of this winter? The house is older but maintained and I just had a new roof put on in Sept 2014. Would appreciate any opinions. Thanks

Welcome to the site.
I would think it would take some time for bricks to be pushed out. But if you have had the chimney cleaned on a regular basis it would have been cought.
If you have the bricks you might be able to see how much was in the smoke stream and how much was not just by looking at the soot.

Back