Lg dryer keeps blowing thermal fuses

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfclay

Reaction score
I have replaced my third thermal fuse just now and am reading on different forums that maybe I should have replaced the high limit thermostat also.
Dryer is totally clean of all lint, the exhaust flows freely, and I've checked the continuity of the heating element and thermostat.

What's the amp on the breaker and what is the gauge of the supply line?

I think I found the problem. I checked continuity of the thermostat- but I didn't do another test recommended on repair clinic.com where you put the thermostat on a hot plate and check to see if continuity is broken when you exceed 160 degrees. I think then thermostat isn't shutting off.

Hi,

No model# posted.
Which thermostat?

jeff.

We are usually more interested in the operating thermostat/thermistor than the safety/high limit thermostat since the operating on is what cycles the heat on and off during the cycle.....changing the high limit/safety one will not hurt. We would oftne ( no clothes ) take the dryer temp at the exhaust ( heat on and off temps ) to make sure the dryer is not getting too hot during the cycle.

A copy:

If you find a blown thermal fuse, always clean, change, adjust the venting system and vent hood first, then it is sometimes a good idea to replace the operating thermostat at the same time.

jeff.

Do you know where the operating thermostat is for this unit? I'm just following things I'm reading online and following the troubleshooting the steps there. Is this what you are calling the operating thermostat?
97e2fe3a59c1346713a1b0d825d69bec.jpg

As I recall, the trouble shooting steps where to (obviously check exhaust and clean all lint out- the dryer now looks new on the inside and the path of exhaust is clean- 18 inches to wall and probably another 18 inches outside) check the high limit thermostat, fuse, and heating element for continuity.

Wonder why they didn't recommend changing this part attached?

the dryer now looks new on the inside and the path of exhaust is clean- 18 inches to wall and probably another 18 inches outside

Also vent hood.

Check the temps with the heat cycling on and off...

Thermometer-TD-1-01754619.jpg

Thermometer, pocket 0ºto 220°f

Do you know where the operating thermostat is for this unit?

Always on the fan blower housing.
Many today use a thermistor instead of a traditional thermostat for cycling the heat on and off during the cycle...this is the operating thermostat.

jeff.

Glad it is working :)
Anybody using those dryer sheets?...if yes, remove the thermistor and clean it off to make sure no build up on it from the sheets which can hamper the temps.

jeff.

Actually we don't use those. I don't know why we don't - but there's probably a reason :)

Back