Is it safe to waterproof a stone chimney?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drw158

Reaction score
We have a 1938 stone chimney (not brick) that is severely deteriorated. We are going to repair the mortar immediately and put a cap on top, but we're unsure about weatherproofing the stone. We do want to prevent this deterioration in the future.

One company suggested spraying on an exterior silicone sealant that will prevent moisture and water to pass through the stone.

Another suggested applying a waterproofing chemical that still allows the moisture to pass through so that the stone can breathe. They said that sealants are not ideal because they don't allow moisture to escape and the stone the breathe.

Which method is the best and why?

Nashville TN

I have sealed a brick chimney with a spray, and it has worked well. Makes sense too, as brick is porous. Since you're only sealing the exterior side of the brick, it still has plenty of breathing room. Besides, a nice fire below will dry out the inside of the chimney.
Stone, I would guess, is a lot less porous. But how would you protect the mortar if you don't spray the stones too?
Unfortunately, I don't know what the spray contained, or which would be better. Bypass the contractor for a moment and take a trip to a masonry supplier ( or a brick yard ;) ) and ask what they sell and why. I did mine by myself, with a garden sprayer, but if you're not comfortable on the roof, go back to the contractor with the added knowledge.

yes, breathable is best,,, we use prosoco products exclusively

Back