Odd stuff on floor joists

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestBentley

Reaction score
Aaron and I are replacing the insulation in the crawl space of our new home... when I pulled down on section of old insulation, we found this very funky looking spot. It's black/brown and shiny, but when Aaron touched it, it was dry..

I would almost think it was a flaw originally in the wood, but it stained the insulation that was up there...

Any ideas what it is? We left it exposed so we could find it again, but I didn't have my camera to take a pic. I looked up pics online of dry rot and mold and it doesn't look like either of those. We've redone the insulation in about half the crawl space and this is the first and only spot we've run into like it.. joists on all sides are fine.

That was my thought too, but the house was built in '88... I guess if the insulation was original, it could have gotten on there while the sap was still wet...

I wear gloves every day all day long because the wood sap gets so nasty.
Pine and spruce, even when treated are very likely to have sticky sap anywhere on it. The color description sounds exactly like sap.
I love it when I get it in my hair, on my face or on my shoulder from carrying it :)

Back