Hi I'm Tomsriv

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomsriv

Reaction score
My name is Tom and I own a classic 1971 Buick Riviera, I'm not from Toms River NJ. I live in a mid-size community about an hour from Los Angeles called Camarillo. I bought a fixer-upper mobile home this year in a nice area and in a nice park. I am mechanically inclined but I still have a lot to learn about home repair.

My current project.
I need to build some siding for my awning which will protect my cars from the sun. I had lattice but the winds blew them all down this weekend. I want to build something stronger that will allow wind to pass through so I don't blow my awning over. I have seen some homes with aluminum louvers. I got quoted a price for 8' tall x 16' long at $1000! I said, "My A$$!" I think I can to build about 24' of covering out of wood for a heck of a lot less than aluminum. What do you think? We don't get much rain here so I'm not worried about dry rot.

Welcome Tom:
We're glad to have you. Your shade project should be fairly easy using vertical 2 X 6s every 4' with 1/4" deep grooves cut at a 45* angle every 8" to 12". Put the bottom of the 2 X 6s in the ground and see if you can screw the tops to the awning (at a pretty strong point). Now, use 1 X 8 boards in the grooves with construction adhesive and brads in each end for your perma-shade. The grooves could be made with a router (the easiest way) or with a circular saw. Use a 'C' clamp or two to hold your Swanson Speed Square in place for a router guide. There used to be an abundance of 1 X 8, tounge and groove cedar out your way. If you could buy that by the bundle and 16' long, a bundle would go a long way.
Best wishes on your project. Please let us know how it turns out.
Glenn

Back