Move wall 1" or add wood??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashburnoveride

Reaction score
Hey all, so my plumber told me I need to move a divider wall over one inch. The wall seperates my stand up shower from where my stacking washer dryer is going. It needs to be moved over to install the shower base directly to the studs. Should I move it or just add one inch of wood to the existing studs? I'm leaning towards the easy choice! Thoughts?

Welcome to the site. There is nothing wrong with adding an inch if that is the easiest way and if you don't need that inch on the other side of the wall.

No way in heck I would move a whole wall to make a space 1" smaller. Just fill it out using the plywood or 1" spacers nailed to the studs.
Making a space 1" bigger is different story.

I completely agree with these guys; definitely don't move the wall.
On top of that, I suggest telling that plumber that suggesting you spend a lot of time in money to move a wall ONE INCH is a complete waste of time and money, and should only be done if he is going to pay for it. That is a completely ridiculous request for such a simple fix, and if your plumber doesn't have the common sense to suggest a real solution I suggest finding another plumber.

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured moving the wall was an unnecessary solution. Not quite sure why he said to do it. I've already used my table saw to cut down some dirt cheap 2x2's and nailed em on. Super easy! He also 4got to turn my water back on before he left the other day. Bonehead.

Don't be to hard on the plumber, all he did is point out the wall is in the wrong place. Some guys keep their mouths shut until it is time to install. Then you are paying him while he waits for you to fix it.

I would suspect that him saying to move the wall, wasn't meant to be taken literally, rather to be taken figuratively.

Not just plumbers. You have to judge each guy on the job for his own brand of stupidity. We build the tub surrounds and seldem see the tub set in mortar, one guy gave us expliced instructions on how he wanted it built, it had to be perfect so he would have no trouble when he set the tub on mortar. We put six blocks on the deck so the tub would fit in and stay straight. When I went back latter to close up the side, the blocks were gone and the tub was out of straight by 3/4". He said, "well I had to wiggle it to make it go down in the mortar, it was perfect when I went down and hooked up the trap."

Dont get me started on tub holes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn carpenters!!!

A tub is 5' long. they come from the factory anywhere from 59 3/4'' to 60 1/4'' depends on enamel thickness

the rough opening for a tub needs to be 5'1/4'' minimum. 5' 1/2'' perfered

not 4' 11/78'' or 5' exactly. that will get the bottom of the wall moved over using a sledge hammer.

I got into a pissing match with a Carpenter over this. He framed the holes a tight 5'

the tubs would not fit, So, I would bump the bottom plate over, set the tub, tell the carpenter to give me a 1/2'' play on the next house.
the next house, same thing. AGAIN
the next house, we knocked the damn wall down, :D thru it out the back door
and told him we had to move the wall to make the tub fit. AGAIN
after that. the tub holes were 60 1/2''

I can live with his stink eye, :rofl: as long as the tub holes is correct

I will get you started.;)
Poor communication is the cause of the problem. If the plan calls for 60", that is the way it will be built, the problem starts with the designer or the builder in not making it clear how big the the tubs will be. If if the framer sees the error and goes to the builder, the standard answer is just follow the plan because they are not interested in thinking about it and checking with everybody that might be involved to get the answer. Framers give up trying to solve problems as they go, plumbers do what they have to do to get stuff in and framers charge extra for what they have to fix and everyone agrees that the framer should have seen it and said something. And around and around it goes. It used to be that designers had flunkies that would do the cad work for plans, and the flunkies were verygood at worrying about the detail. Now they send the plan to china for the cad work and much is lost in translation.

LOL!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>> YEAH!!! your right,

the old, I did what the print said, pay me if you want different game. been there, done that

I put a 6'' storm drain 12'' from a beam. the builder got pissey, asked me why

" cause that is what the print showed"

he said, " well, the mechanical engineer just arbitrarily drew it there"

I said. " And the plumber arbitrarily installed it there"

he said, "are you going to move it?'

I said, "about 30 minutes after you sign the change order"

Back