Solar Tubes

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemkonan

Reaction score
I saw a skylight in a new homes which resulted in an Internet search that introduced me to skytubes. In case I am not describing this product properly I am referring to an alternative involving a rigid or flexible reflective tube that is used to capture light and disperse it into a room. One end of the tube is anchored in the ceiling and the other end fits on the roof and carries a dome.

My question is would you recommend this as a DIY project and is there a preferred product that stands up best to the elements especially seeing that this is a long term install.

My plan is to use this fix to provide ligt to a dark upstairs hallway and stairs landing.

Thanks

There is another thread about solar tubes here somewhere..

To answer your qestion about wether this is a DIY project; yep.
This is the only skylight I would recommend to a homeowner who wanted to install a skylight in their home themselves. The instalation is quick and there's no drywall to finish, no painting to do, no trim or fancy framing in the ceiling. A few blocks cut to fit between the rafters and ceiling joists. Not a bad project for a weekend. Makes an incredible difference inside your home. The light diffusers inside, look like fixtures. The shape spreads the light more effectively through the room, without so much direct radiant heat.

Long term. This is an investment. It will require maintenance, but it's minimal. Keep it clean inside and out and it will last longer.

Thanks for bringing this up again,
It's a cost effective way to improve a home in short time.
That's part of what this forum is all about.
Welcome to the forum!
Tom

Velux makes a really nice unit. I haven't had the pleasure of installing one, but I read the installation, not bad, it's called a "Sun Tunnel" and I believe Home Depot stocks a 10" version.

Thanks very much I will plan this for next spring, the chill is soon coming to the True North.

I just installed one of these last night, in about 3 hours, in a bathroom with no windows. This morning, I took a shower and got ready for work without having to have lights on.

I highly recommend these.

have had a 14" in my kitchen for a couple of years. install it and then cover it and then you will really be able to see the difference it makes.

Back