Re-doing an old fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
We have a 1924 colonial and now that we've removed wallpaper, plastered and painted the living room, the old dirty brick fireplace is sort an eyesore. if you get a new wood mantle installed over the brick with maybe a stone facing, it can easily run into $4-$5000 from companies likes Collinswood etc. Beautiful stuff. But my first thought was to hire a good carpenter and build it out a bit and use tile for the facing. maybe leave the existing wooden top mantle. Or I've heard there are kits you can buy where you measure and they send it out to you for your carpenter to install. Any recommendations. We're willing to spend the $$ for a good one but is there any other way?

We have companies here that do nothing but fancy fireplace mantles with columns on the sides and all that but their loosing big right now as the style is more to put faux rock over the bricks.

See attached photos. We'd thought of a book-case surround incorporating a flat tv screen in the middle. there's a few inches more wall space to the left of the fireplace than to the right. Wife doesn't want to use cultured stone or any kind of stone, except for for the facing, which cold be some kind of sandy flat marble etc. But wood molding would be good for this room.

DSCN4022sm.jpg

DSCN4024sm.jpg

Oh man. May I ask what kind of material / installation brought up the estimate to 4-5K dollars?
That is a lot of money. We deal with this sort of remodeling every day and for something like the size in the photo is less than $1k.
I'm really curious now.
Thanks!

i may have slightly overstated, let's take the New London by collinswood. standard size 48 x 40 is $1600 Cherry pre-finished and finished. Durrango facing is $1100 including hearth. so that's $2700 for standard size plus installation, maybe $1000 or less, so less than $4K. I'm not sure how they measure standard size, but the width of my the brick shown is 69 inches.....So if I went with a different wood and finished myself, price would come down considerably.

Well, it's still high in my opinion for such a small f.p. You can purchase molding / profiles for the mantle and cut the to size. For the face you can use light weight stone panels like coral stone or travertine. I would like to show you some photos on our testimonials page but I think I'm not allowed to promote myself here.... Let me know if I can help.

Back