What would you do?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious if this guy became a problem when the new foreman came on board.........?
Of course, if work became miserable for the guy, he might decide to leave;)

It started long before the Forman. Last year I asked him to drop off some shoring at the rental yard on his way home. It was about ten minutes out of the way. He said no unless I'm going to give him overtime. I told him then not to bother and bring it back to the shop and I will return it myself but not to show up to work on Monday until 11am when I get back from dropping it off. The shop is 20 minutes past his house. He ended up doing what I asked but complained about it.

Today he called me at 2:30 and said he got a flat in the tractor. The tractor tires are about a month old so it has to be from running something over. He wanted me to send an emergency tire truck to fix it. I said no that he can pull it off and take it to the shop. He didn't. Then he was supposed to tow a different tractor back to the shop but called and said he wanted to do it monday instead. Again I had to tell him no and listen to him complain. He is just lazy and only wants to go straight home after work and nothing else.

Time to start building a packet on this guy, then discipline accordingly. IMHO, he knows you are a soft (nice) boss, and is taking advantage of you.

Two gps trackers, one for the truck, you always know where it is, the other only operates when some one is sitting in the drivers seat.

Dosn't take long to find the coffee shop on the way to the job or extended breaks during the day. as well as start of day and end of day.

A freind of mine is a sales guy for a roofing company, all the managers know about the gps on all the trucks including their own but the workers do not know that it is there.

They let a few minor discressions slide but the have proof if they want to let people go.

Sadly, I agree that there are many of these guys who are either drug users, or boozers, or both. They only work for the payday so they can go out and blow their money on their habit. Anyone who's always asking to be paid extra for everything is, at the LEAST, in love with money. They love it more than they love making a difference in the world--than making a difference for your customers. People who love money MAY do anything for it--including stealing from you and then selling tools at the pawn shop. I don't know why you keep him around. Kick him to the curb before this gets worse. If he was MINE-----he'd of been gone long ago. Once I'm uncomfortable with someone and ignore my intuition, I've always paid a bad price.

Sadly, I agree that there are many of these guys who are either drug users, or boozers, or both. They only work for the payday so they can go out and blow their money on their habit. Anyone who's always asking to be paid extra for everything is, at the LEAST, in love with money. They love it more than they love making a difference in the world--than making a difference for your customers. People who love money MAY do anything for it--including stealing from you and then selling tools at the pawn shop. I don't know why you keep him around. Kick him to the curb before this gets worse. If he was MINE-----he'd of been gone long ago. Once I'm uncomfortable with someone and ignore my intuition, I've always paid a bad price.

I don't disagree. just want to add gambling addiction as a possibility.

Back