Laundry tub tap repair question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have noticed that I have been getting some leaking around the handle on the hot water side when using both the cold water and hot water taps. I have attached a pic with a arrow as to where im getting the dripping. Is this a stem style tap and what would I do to go about repairing it? I have never had a problem with this tap until now. You guys have walked me through fixing everything from kitchen taps to bathroom tub cartridges and was hoping to get some help with this one.

Why the homeowner before me painted them I have no idea, also sorry for the pic as it was taken on the wife's iPhone. I have put a arrow as to where its dripping.

Thanks guys

Jeremy

tap.jpg

The nut just to the right of your arrow has a packing in it. Remove the handle remove nut and replace backing, while you are there the valve will turn out and you can change the washer at the other end while you are at it. Don't forget to turn off the water first.

Thanks Neal, so after removing the handle there will be a nut? or do you mean the nut that is painted to the right of the arrow has to come off too to get to the packing washers?

Last edited:
Thanks neal,

another question, sorry. What size wrench would I need to get that nut off with? I don't have a wrench big enough to get that off with, even a adjustable one. I do have chanel lock that are big enough but dont want to gouge it up.

Thanks Joe, I might have to get a bigger adjustable wrench as the one I have only goes to 1" and the nut is slightly bigger.

Back