Annoying pipe hum

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made an early call on the toilet noise. Subsequently have realized we are back to zero. Heard noise when kitchen faucet on and at turn off. Also can hear hum near front of house when MBath faucet runs. Seems our fix has not worked so now scratching head!!:rolleyes:
What makes it more interesting is that 2 days ago the leaking single lever kitchen faucet was repaired using the Delta supplied new parts and is like a charm now - except for the noise.
Noise level in general is not as loud as before the ball valve installed, but seems to becoming a bit louder as the hours pass. If I was bald I'd be in trouble but there still is hair to pull!!!

Imagine, as your pipes get older and the corrosion and erosion takes it's toll on them. The least bit of trash in the lines could hang up anywhere and become a reed style device. The changing pressures combined with the rate of flow, the changing temps of the water could all be factors in the pitch, the volume and the intermittence of the hum. Trash in the lines could be anything from scales from steel pipe, excess glue from a plastic joint, teflon tape partially bridging at any threaded joint. Sounds telegraph easily through water pipe. I'd be interested in back washing my system or at least removing the supply lines at the stops and flushing my system one fixture at a time into a 5 gallon bucket. You might be surprised how much trash you get out of those old lines.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum, I am glad to found this forum, hope I will get many useful information/tips here.

Hope to have a great time here:)

For Glenn and Square Eye:
Had system bled from outside and changed the two water bibs to ball valves on Wed. Adage that 'silence is golden' applies. All is quiet on the Western Front!
Thanks

Well, Dad's pretty smart and I'm opinionated so together we were bound to get close :D

All is well in Wonderland! Not a sound other than water flowing.
BTW, after using the ball valves instead of standard bibs believe they should be standard installation. Does the water flow when drawing for our new key lime tree!!
Many thanks

Back