Air bubbles in toilet bowl...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachguy005

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I was taking a shower last night and heard glug, glug, and noticed air bubbles in the toilet bowl, which then drained completely.
Flushed it to fill and it worked fine.
Both the shower and toilet seem to be draining ok and haven't been a problem.
I'm wondering if it's a sign of a bigger issue.
Thanks for any opinions.

Hmmm... could be a venting problem, possible varmints building nests in some pipes above, or a blockage in some pipes above that are helping to vent that bathroom. I am guessing the sink is also gurgling but you may not have heard it yet.
Blockage at a T can also cause some gurgling but that is rare.
Did you recently do any remodeling?
And what climate are you in?

Sounds like a vent is plugged.
Snow? Critters?

Haven't done any construction and I'm in south Florida so no snow issues.
I've flushed the toilet a few times and it's working ok.
When I saw it happening, the shower was running and when I put my foot over the shower drain, the bubbling stopped.
I did run the sink for a few minutes and it's drain fine.

I'm having the same problem so when the weather improves I will go up on the roof and force water into the vent pipes while a helper inside makes sure sinks are not putting out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greywater
I'm a little reluctant to use a snake because they can sometimes get stuck.

I had a kitchen clog so I forced water into the drain downstream of the disposal and then had chopped, fibrous food coming out on the roof.
The fix was to put one of these inflatable barrel-shaped pipe stoppers in the vent so the water had to clear the clog instead of going out the vent.
50 PSI at 6 GPM with hot water works pretty well. A 10' vertical vent pipe only gives me about 5 PSI of pressure.

Last edited:
Back