makita impact driver!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newplayer

Reaction score
I just got a makita LXT impact driver from ebay. The model number is BTD140. The main reason why I bought it is that it was cheap. I just know that I will need it soon because I just bought my house and there are some projects that I have in mind. But I've never owned an impact driver before. How does this particular model compare to traditional power screwdrivers and to air tools? If you own this model, what have you used it for? Also what kind/size bits should I buy for this tool. I don't have the user's manual so any help would be great.

Use standard bits, not the elcheapos, but standard bits by Dewalt or another big brand.

nobody here owns an impact driver? Come on, how does it compare to standard power screwdriver and to air tools? What kind of jobs do you use it for?

Impact drivers will actually start a screw faster, drive it in further, pull tighter with the screw. Perfect for installing metal roofing panels, wood subflooring, anywhere a rough driver with limited control will work it even seems to give you a control over the depth as it 'ratchets'. Works with a predrilled hole fine.

BUT

For fine woodworking, leave the impact driver alone.

Compared to an air powered driver.. less power, but no air hose.

btd140.jpg

Impact drivers will actually start a screw faster, drive it in further, pull tighter with the screw. Perfect for installing metal roofing panels, wood subflooring, anywhere a rough driver with limited control will work it even seems to give you a control over the depth as it 'ratchets'. Works with a predrilled hole fine.

BUT

For fine woodworking, leave the impact driver alone.

Compared to an air powered driver.. less power, but no air hose.

btd140.jpg

Thanks for the replies. But here's one thing I don't get: some impact wrenches use air compressor as their power source, like the ones used to remove lugs. But there are no impact drivers that use air right? I tried looking for that, but I couldn't find any.

You can buy small air powered impact wrenches and drills, rotary tools... there may just not be a market for a small air powered impact driver.

Latest posts

Back