Basement Leaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streeterw

Reaction score
I have a leaky basement. I found on the DIY Network that you can fix leaks by using Hydo Cement. The leaks are small trickling pin hole leaks. I have a drain around the perimeter of the basement with a sump-pump that removes the water. I want to finish the basement with sheetrock and possible hardwood flooring or carpeting. When I chipped out the pinholes and added the hydo-cement that way it instructed, I still have water coming through.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT

ONE TROUBLED HOME OWNER:confused:

Stopping leaks from the inside is a real challenge; the best method is to dig down on the outside and waterproof the whole thing. It gets very involved.
Glenn

All that rain stirs everything up....
Like glenn said, tough to fix and only from the outside.

Its like having a cup with holes in it...fix the holes from the inside and put it as far as you can into a pan of water....leaks pretty quick. Now try fixing it from the outside with a continuous layer of tar or other exterior sealant...not as bad.
But the best way is to get drainage at the bottom areas around the foundation to remove all the water....or call basement systems or another local Co. to give you a free appraisal.

Any way you look can be expensive because of the labor and extras....and please do not do anything as far as finishing goes in the basement until you have a good rain storm after the fix. You will save alot of money and grief if you do.:D

Hydraulic cement is a proven way to seal cracks if installed properly. It has been used on commercial, industrial and civil (dams) projects for many years.

You must open up the crack/joint in a "dovetail" shape. Clean out the area. It can be moist. Mix according to instructions and force and compact into the joint. The material will expand, locking itself in and bond to the existing concrete.

If you do not get rid of the water around your footings, you can expect some water in your basement periodically. Start with the gutters, downspout extensions and exterior grading. If that does not do it, install the drain tile that should have been put in when the house was built.

I am not sure if I am applying the hydro correctly. When I chip out the crack, I open the whole about 1" wide and when I got about Half an inch deep water gushed out then just trickled out, just like it was built up inside the block's center. Am I not going deep enough? The instructions say to go fill in up to 1/2" from the surface and hold tight for about 5 minutes until the water stops.
I am afraid to go through the outside of the cement block. I am also concerned that I am mixing the cement too soupy. It is like wet sand when I apply it. Should I be waiting alittle longer until it is thicker?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It sound like the hydraulic cement might be too wet.

You have actually discovered your real problem - You have water in the cores of the block. This means you proably have more water than that outside your walls. Using hydraulic cement in this case means you will just be fixing different cracks with a band-aid patch. The black goop they put on concrete walls is just a damp proofer with a limited life.

The only real solution is to make sure your gutters and 10' downspout extensions and working and the ground araound the house drains away. After that, if you still have water accumulating, go to a real solution with draintile either inside or outside of the wall.

Latest posts

Back