Septic Tank Cover

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorPlan

Reaction score
The Grass never grew properly over the Septic Tank... As the Tank is located just outside the Front of the House we decided to Build a 12' X 8' Platform Deck over the Tank which sits on 4 Patio Stones, 1 at each corner.. The Platform was designed so that a section 8' X 30" wide could be pulled up like a Trap Door for easy access to the 2 Cement Lids to the Septic Tank. There is a layer of Topsoil about a foot deep spread across the Tank.. My Query ,With our Cold Canadian Winters in Eastern Ontario Would it present a Problem if we were to eliminate the Topsoil under the 12' X 30" wide section (???) Curious is All

Heat from the septic tank is what keeps if from freezing, if that is what you are thinking about.

Move the lids closer to the surface with extension rings. Most places that cast them have long forms and they will make them to just the length you ask for. Subtract for the thickness of the lid and have them end up flush. I did that 25 years ago and haven’t done any digging after that. We have no issues with smells at all as the edge of the lid is below the surface of the lawn.

Move the lids closer to the surface with extension rings. Most places that cast them have long forms and they will make them to just the length you ask for. Subtract for the thickness of the lid and have them end up flush. I did that 25 years ago and haven’t done any digging after that. We have no issues with smells at all as the edge of the lid is below the surface of the lawn.

Thanks for the Comeback...More & More now We're starting to see variations of Septic Tank Lid Covers @ Surface Level.. The setup we built with the Trap Door idea was our concern, I was just wanting to eliminate one more step in the process of making ready for Pumping.. Was told also as long as the system remains active daily we'll never have any problems with Freezing..

Thanks for the Comeback...More & More now We're starting to see variations of Septic Tank Lid Covers @ Surface Level.. The setup we built with the Trap Door idea was our concern, I was just wanting to eliminate one more step in the process of making ready for Pumping.. Was told also as long as the system remains active daily we'll never have any problems with Freezing..

I would have no worry about freezing that far below grade and with the action of a septic it produces its own heat.

Latest posts

Back