Level an shed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronprill

Reaction score
I have an 1800s farmhouse that has an attached shed/barn on piered foundation. Some of the corners rest on concrete tubes that were added over time (by a previous owner- unsure when).

As you can see from the pics, one corner has pushed up out of the ground (most like from frost) and heaved the whole building in one direction. What are my options to get things back to level? I've had some people tell me to put some 6x6 blocking under the high corner with some jacks, cut the cement tub with a cement saw down to "level", then slowly lower the jacks and remove the blocking until the building is resting on the cement tube at it's new height.

Does this sound do-able? Should I hire a pro to do it, or is this something that could be tackled by me and a couple guys without the whole thing collapsing? Where can I rent 6x6 blocking?

Thanks,
Aaron in Maine

024.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

029.JPG

I think you're going to continue to have problems until the piers are footed below the frost line.

What if I temporarily jack and block the building, cut out the sono-tube(s) (with cement saw), then replace with concrete pads and posts that sit on top of the ground (on top of a bed of gravel to help with water issues)?

Someone told me that may work... Anyone want to add to that?

Thanks,
Aaron

I would bet those concrete piers that heaved are only 12" under ground or so. You are in Maine and frost goes deep.

To fix properly you need to install proper piers.

You need a bottle jack a 6 ton will do you can purchase at kmart or walmart for cheap like $15

Next buy a 6 x 6 pt at a lumber yard and a 4 x 4 pt

With the 4 x 4 jack up one corner at a time just enough to get the weight off like a 1/4" thats it.

Next use the 6 x 6 on a piece of 2 x 12 like 2' long to temp support the building

Get that old concrete pier out and dig a proper pier 42" deep set 12" sono tube and pour concrete only about 12" above grade

Finally get 6 x 6 post bracket and attach to concrete and then install perminate 6 x 6 at proper height.

Good Luck

PS if you hit water at the bottom on your hole put 1 1/4" stone on bottom just above water (do not use gravel) you can get this stone at a landscape supply

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back