grout or mortar?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hello all, I am building a outdoor table for my bbq and would like to install a tile countertop. can I use any tile? what type of adhesive? can I use grout? do I need a plywood substrate under the cementboard? thanks

my opinion...
Go with a polymer modified thinset, plywood will eventually rot so I would skip it in favor of a thicker cement board. make sure the tile can withstand extreme temperature fluctuations. (I'm sure NY doesn't get too cold, but if you put a hot dish on a cool tile, it may crack.) Any kind of tile adhesive will eventually let go in an outdoor situation. Definitely grout your joints. I prefer sanded grout for ease of use, but the pro's say if you are doing a 3/16 or smaller joint use unsanded grout.

Last edited:
There are tiles designed and rated for outside use. I would get one rated for commercial use, because they will be more heavy duty, and since it's just a table a few extra dollars a square food won't be as big of a deal as it would on an 800sf floor. Daddytron was right on, both about plywood and with the mortar. Laticrete makes some excellent mortars and again because it's small, buy the best.

Another idea that will last forever,mine has been out for 5 years...still new. Buy a piece of granite slab, with rounded edges and use it as the top. I used cedar 4x4's and put a cedar 2x6 around the 4x4's with 2 centered underneath to hold the slab.
total cost, $300 bucks.

Back