Water Heater Expansion Tank

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_GS

Reaction score
Hey new home owner here so slowly learning so forgive me. Over the last month or so when I would do wash in the laundry room (same room the water heater is in) I could hear a loud rumbling/water flushing noise every once and a while when the washer is on. I did some research and tried flushing my gas hot water heater to see if any sediment was in the tank and it was all pretty clear. After further looking I saw topics about expansion tanks. I currently do not have one on my tank and was curious if this could possibly be the noise I'm hearing for when the pressure gets high in the water heater and if it's a good idea to have one installed (doesn't look to difficult to do). I only hear the noise when the washer is running.

Likely just hearing the cold water rushing in to fill the tank.
I own three houses, and have owed at least 6 more and not one has a pressure tank.
If the relieve valve was popping off I'd be concerned with a pressure tank.

We had to add an expansion tank when we replaced our water heater several years ago. The reason our town was installing check valves on our water meters to prevent water going back into the main after it enters our house. Without the expansion tank as the water heats it wouldn't have anywhere to go as it expands with heating. Well it could go out the Temperature/Pressure relief valve.

Without a check valve as the water expands it pushes back against the main and it takes up the expanded water.

I'd agree with Joe on the sounds you're hearing. If your water provider installs the check valves they should let you know that you need to install an expansion tank. If you're on a well, you probably already have a pressure tank that would do the same thing for your house.

Thanks guys. Was just curious because it wasn't as loud over the last few months as it's been recently that's the only reason I had a concern.

Back