Can you recommend an AC unit?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I'm going to purchase a new AC unit this week.

I found a few guys who will do it as side work...I simply pick the unit, they get it from a supplier, and they'll install it.

I was looking at a Lennox or Trane...not the builder quality, but one step up.

I'll get a price list tomorrow, but was told that brands like Goodman, Thermal Zone, Coleman, York, etc will be much cheaper.

Can somebody recommend a good mid level model?

I'll likely be moving in less than five years, so I can't justify the higher end brands.

Welcome Greenlawnracing:
Goodman (also Janitrol) is a privately held Texas company, has a 10 year gurantee, uses Copeland Scroll compressors and components copied from the best brands so close, even the brands have trouble telling the difference; all while featuring the lowest prices in the market. I don't work for them but, when I worked for Airco, they sure made me green with envy.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn!

I was in a really tough situation, because my coil was leaking. I'll likely be moving in a few years, so its really hard to justify spending much. I was tempted to just replace the coil.....but...if the outside unit went bad next year I'd be screwed as I'd have an R22 coil that wouldn't work with a new 410AC unit.

I shopped around today and got a Goodman installed for $1750 as a side job. I heard decent things about Goodman and figured I can't go wrong at that price.

Back