Freezing cold bathroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I recently renovated my house, the bathroom is on the second floor. Since it was recently renovated, its the only room on the second floor with insulated walls. It also has a sliding windows in where the shower is. A ceiling fan was put in and it vents out of the roof. There is about a 5 foot span between the ceiling fan and roof exit.

There is only about 3 inches of insulation in the attic, I plan on adding another 10" or so to bring it up to an R38.

Until then, its so cold that when water hits the window it pretty much freezes, you guy have never steered me wrong so far, what can i do prior to upgrading the insulation in the attic to help?

The can of the fan has no insulation on it, neither does the flexible duct out of the roof. I might just go buy some insulation and put it in the attic, would that be best for now? Thanks

Buy some insulated pipe for the fan, add the insulation over the bathroom for now. Check the clearence under the door, should be 1" to 1 1/4". cut a peice of plxiglass to fit over the window and install it with double sided tape, add a handle so you can pull it off later.

Quick fix of 10 mil poly sheet around the window and vent taped with construction tape.

now i just have to get in the comfortable attic and install some insulation in the beautiful weather :)

So last night i went into the attic, insulated the vent pipe and put insulation above the bathroom. I doubled it up around the fan, it was pretty cold this AM and the bathroom was comfortable. In a few days i plan on putting some more insulation up there and in a month the whole attic will be done. I should have done this sooner.

Just be glad you're doing it now and not in the heat of the summer when it's 95* out. Also, make sure you don't cover the lookout areas where the rafters meet the walls . You don't want to restrict air flow in any way. Glad it's working out for you and invest in a dust mask if you spend much time moving insulation!

So last night i went into the attic, insulated the vent pipe and put insulation above the bathroom. I doubled it up around the fan, it was pretty cold this AM and the bathroom was comfortable. In a few days i plan on putting some more insulation up there and in a month the whole attic will be done. I should have done this sooner.

I had a similar experience ... ice on the inside of the windows in our newly bought "old home." Came home from work every night and laid double insulation in the attic. Instantly changed the environment for me and pregnant wife. :D

Be careful around fans due to fire hazard. Same with recessed lights. Make sure those fixtures can be covered. If not, insulate around them only ... wait till Spring to replace with units which can be covered to stop heat loss.

Recessed light can be covered with a box that is lined with drywall and sealed with a fire rated caulk and then covered with insulation.

Back