Is Drip edge needed in this situation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimeron

Reaction score
Hello, recently I have just installed the new architectural shingles (40 years), and the contractor did not include drip edge.

His reasoning was that since the shingle overhang is between 3/4th of an inch to 1.5 inches, and since my roof slope is fairly steep, a drip edge is not really needed except for aesthetic reasons.

Just wondering if I still should get some drip edges or not. The shingles has not completely self sealed and become brittle yet, so now would be the best time to install those.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome Dimeron:
Adding the drip edge now would cause more damage than the benefit. I would let it go.
Glenn

How steep is your roof?
While that may be cause not to have them on the eave, I can't see leaving them off the rakes (gable ends)
Did he use tar paper?
Ice & water shield?
Did he tell you in advance he would not use it?
Or did he tell you afterwards?
Or did you find out afterwards & then he put forth his reason for not using them?
Is he going to warranty any problems due to his ommission? and for how long?

I'm sure houses have existed for a long period without drip edges
But the drip edge has 3 or more ridges that help prevent water from flowing in from the side. In wind driven rain this could be very important

DaveyDIY

it is between 35 and 45 degree I think. Ice/water shield and tar paper were used, and he did not include the drip edge in the original estimate either.

glennjanie and Daryl in Nanoose, thanks, I think I will go without drip edges for now.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. Cheers.

Back