Foundation Leaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmwoiak

Reaction score
Guys,

I recently noticed a leakage I was having in my foundation. In my basement I have a french drain which is now concealed behind a wall. On one day of heavy rain I noticed the carpet getting wet. I cut the wall open and determined there as a crack in the foundation wall and the water was coming in and down the water. The french drain was dented in one area and allow the water to run onto the carpet. Now that I have the wall open I am trying to find out what the fix is for this crack. Is there a sealant or something that can be injected into this crack? I am not sure what the permanent fix for this issue is and I was looking for suggestions. Thanks guys.

You do not have a french drain. All you have is a plastic cove molding that collects water that has already leaked into the living space. It is not a permanent solution and all you can do is to find some goop or glue that closes it up long enough. Different plastics/vinyls require different solvents/glues. There is no permanent solution for a temporary system.

The only real fix is from the outside. How much digging would have to be done to get down to below floor level? Like Dick said someone just did enough to sell the house.

We did understand what you have, there isn't much you can do about the crack from the inside, perhaps a peice of plastic or something between your cove and the wall could maybe devert it down instead of spreying on the drywall. The proper fix is drainage and sealing the outside, this will happen again and again.

Back