My kitchen renovation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

Reaction score
Since I'm nearing the completion of my kitchen remodel I figured I'd share here. When we bought the house the kitchen was a complete dump, wood paneling installed over the drywall, plywood covering the old back doorway after they added on, grease stained cabinets and nonmatching counters that weren't even screwed on. The sink is the only think that remains now from the original kitchen, albeit with new plumbing. I had to rip open the wall behind the sink because the previous owner had spliced in to the electrical so many times when they "remodeled" (the original kitchen would have been WAY uglier) and it needed to be rewired. I changed the layout completely and made it a small galley kitchen (7' wide) and relocated the stove so I could put in a dishwasher. The counters and tile are from Home Depot and Lowes but the flooring, cabinets, and many light fixtures and fans were bought from Habitat ReStores. I still have several things to do here but it's looking more and more like a finished kitchen every day. Attached are some pictures, the first two are the "Befores". I still need to paint the dining room (when we moved in we painted these rooms yellow but had a change of heart lol) and put in the new floor

garagefan 022.jpg

garagefan 023.jpg

100_0916.jpg

100_0917.jpg

100_0918.jpg

100_0919.jpg

Nice cabinets and countertop!

It looks cozy. Nice job!

Cozy is a good term lol, the combined kitchen/dining area is 15x12 and the original kitchen would have had a full height wall dividing them with dark brown laminated cabinets, brown appliances, and some sort of 1970s colored counters. I'm trying to do as much of this house as I can with materials purchased at Habitat and thrift stores and, in a lot of ways, I think it's making for a nicer/less "cookie cutter" result

Already taken care of, nabbed this vintage NuTone on ebay for $45 and it practically sucks the food off the cooktop

20150525_200347.jpg

Yikes, a full wall would have made that area feel way too tight. I think you did a great job with the materials. HfH ReStore can have some nice stuff. I wish I had discovered the one in my area sooner and bought more stuff because I didn't know they were going to close down. I was going to donate some stuff to them as well.

That is a neat looking vent fan.

How much space is between the end of the cabinet and the edge of the kitchen on the side with the trash can? I've seen things where they have another cabinet that has a pull-out drawer to hold the trash. Some of them can be designed to hold more than one trash can so you can have like regular trash in one and recycling stuff in another. You could probably even make your own using ball-bearing full extension drawer glides and some materials. But only if you actually wanted something like that in there.

are you going to put a 12'' wide top on the 1/2 wall?

Looking at the space again, I realize that a full pull-out trash thing might not be all that easy to work with, but they make tilt-out ones where you can have the trash can. Keeps the cans from getting knocked over and also allows you to have some surface on top for placing objects. I have a little space at the end of one of my cabinets and there's an oak potato bin in place. I wish we'd built something to store the trashcans because the cats are forever knocking the trashcans over. LOL.

A stained wood top coated in poly will be nice! What stain color are you going to use?

Back