Where to find buidling codes online?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just bought my 1st house and my city allows owners to do their own work, but are required to abide by standard international codes, but they don't provide the specs for those codes. i've done searches, but only find the very expensive hard copies to buy, nothing online. i was hoping that basic info would be posted somewhere before i go tearing into stuff.

2003 international building code
2003 international plumbing code
2005 national electrical code

No idea, It sure would be nice if they would make that info readily available. Ask your city building inspector. They are usually pretty good about advising you before you do the job, just make sure to ask lots of questions. Mine told me to call with any question, I have a couple of times and always got the answer. I wonder if we would even be able to understand what it says if we had a free copy or if its just another jumble of confusing terms and words?

Good luck in your search, and don't be afraid to ask questions here, I know we have several builders and Inspectors that post regularly.
Justin

Why would anyone want to read that stuff. You need a degree in reading over explained lawyer terminology anyway.:D

I have done all the reading for everyone here, and still don't remember everything there. Go to www.iccsafe.org for the usual highlights of building inspectors. The site is boring but may help.
Otherwise your best bet is amazon, go to the used book sites also.
Talk to your official, they will help out better than you can understand even where to look in the books for info.

Why would anyone want to read that stuff. You need a degree in reading over explained lawyer terminology anyway.:D

I have done all the reading for everyone here, and still don't remember everything there. Go to www.iccsafe.org for the usual highlights of building inspectors. The site is boring but may help.
Otherwise your best bet is amazon, go to the used book sites also.
Talk to your official, they will help out better than you can understand even where to look in the books for info.

that's kind of what i figured, but i was hoping somebody had a website bookmarked with the basics. i know a lot of people just wing it and try to use common sense, but it would be nice to know for sure everything is right. i'll see what i can dig up.

You will find only portions of the building codes on the internet. Everyone has to pay for the printing since it is created by a non-profit organization. A code has no authority until it is adopted by a legal authority. Each of the local authorities can decide what they want to make available. The same applies to companies/organizations that are involved in writing the codes. If they provide a blanket source, then they must pay, be limited or dropped.

Many of the people that write the codes and standards have individual memberships and not corporate memberships. Of course, very few municipalities will underwrite the time and expense of writing codes. Of course they will not hand out free copies of what the have to pay for.

I frequently go to the ICC site and find it participated in by a bunch of frustrated nail-benders and amateur attorneys that like to try to cite code sections and pretend to be law school-drop outs.

Go to your code office and talk to your building official/inspector to get some advice or references. He works for you and is paid to protect you from yourself and does not want to make his job any more difficult than it is. If he suggests something, it will probably pass and meet the minimum code standard (the worst you can build and still be legal).

I frequently go to the ICC site and find it participated in by a bunch of frustrated nail-benders and amateur attorneys that like to try to cite code sections and pretend to be law school-drop outs.

I wish I had said it that way.:D

Go to your code office and talk to your building official/inspector to get some advice or references. He works for you and is paid to protect you from yourself and does not want to make his job any more difficult than it is. If he suggests something, it will probably pass and meet the minimum code standard (the worst you can build and still be legal).

More good advice.;)

Hello Justin:
In Kentucky we have all the applicable codes in the state website. You might check your state website and see if they post any codes.
Glenn

I'm planning a trip to my local library, they have a copy of the code I need. Unfortunately, it's in the reference section, so I can't check it out. I hope they have copy machines.

I believe NY has all or most of their codes on the state site as well. You can find most on the net.

Back