new gable roof instead of flat roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kskatz

Reaction score
I'd like to put gable roofs up instead of repairing the old flat roofs on each side of the existing gable roof. (see picture). the new gable roofs would face outwards with the side of the house instead of the front like existing gable. Is this a feasable idea that I could have this done by just having the contractor build trusses and sit right on top of existing flat roof? Any Idea what the cost would be compared to having new rubber roof installed on the flat roofs? Would really prefer gables.
Thanks, (this is in Edmond Ok.) if anyone knows a good framer that is reasonably priced in that area. or Oklahoma City.

house in edmond.JPG

I am sure it would be cheaper to have the flat roofs replaced, but it is feasable to add a new roof on top. I would consult with a truss manufacture in your area and have them requemend a contractor to do the installation and then you would need a roofing company after that.
Engineered trusses are your best bet as they only put barring on the front and back walls. The down side is that the overhang of the flat roofs would have to be removed so that the new trusses could sit on or above the walls and have their tales or overhang extend lower than the existing overhang.

I would not put a gable on the house side. You should continue the new roof into the old roof or you will center section running water up against the gable end and it will leak.

Joe; You would run valley sets up the sides of the origanal roof, so that wouldn't be a problem.

How come I am not seeing flat roofs?

I see some low slope hip roofs though.

Andy.

Andy: eye level is at the level of the center peek so you are looking down at the flat roofs.

Joe; You would run valley sets up the sides of the origanal roof, so that wouldn't be a problem.

That is what I would expect. However as described I was envisioning a total of four gables with no blending into the existing roof.

Unless I'm not seeing something in the photo, I think a good solution would be to construct just 2 new gable roof extensions, at right angles to the existing center gable. Shorter one on the left, longer one on the right. I'd frame it using individual rafters and 2 ridge beams, such that the only penetrations necessary in the flat roofs would be where each rafter ties into its support wall. One person could do this by himself, quite leisurely, and it would probably be a darn sight cheaper than buying trusses, and renting the crane to set them in place.

I did a very similar major roof remodel on a large house in NM, with a slightly more complex roof to tie into, and it worked out extremely well. I decided to do it myself after having 2 roofing contractors/framers come out to give me their estimates to do the job--first one said it was at least $15,000 (this was in 1992!), and the second said it couldn't be done, and refused to bid it. I did it for a total of less than $2200 in materials (not including shingles) and less than 2 weeks of my time. Framed the new roof at a 4:12 pitch, and used all Doug fir 2 x 8 rafters, most of which were 22 feet long.

Last edited:
The OP was asking about contractor, so likely he won't be doing this himself. There is a reason for most houses being built with trusses and that reason is money.

This is exactly the solution I was thinking but not sure of the cost. I think it would make the house look better and be easier to maintain.
Thank you all for your inputs.

Keep us posted as you go along, we don't always agree with each other but we can help you sort out good and bad information. The more you understand about the process the better the end product.

Latest posts

Back