screened-in patio door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobieski

Reaction score
All,

I have a screened-in patio that needs a new door. It had a hinged screen door (aluminum frame, with screen).

I'm ok with putting on a new one of this type, but am also open to something different.

Here's the challenge:
It's a very unusual sized opening and I'm not finding the hinged type door "in-stock" at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a million.

What is the size of your exisiting door? Do you have pictures?

attached is a photo of the opening. the old door is no more.

what you're seeing in the picture is the screened-in patio door opening, through which you can see the arcadia door into the house (with my reflection in it.)

the opening measures approx. 35 1/2' x 79 1/2' .

patio door.jpg

Wow, looks like this topic went unanswered. Sorry about that but this forum is seeing a lot more activity the past couple of months and I'm sure your questions will be answered more promptly from here on.

About your door, the measurements you give are not unusual at all, assuming you're measuring from the insides of the doorstops. If you measure to the jamb it should be about 36" wide by 80" tall, which is a standard opening.

Metal screen doors are designed to fit in the door jamb and allow for a little room for play, so installing one will probably require you remove the stops. Also, the height for most metal screen doors is adjustable, usually from about 79" to 80", so the threshold shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, if you are measuring to the inside of the jambs it's a whole nother story, in which case I'd suggest you go with a wooden screendoor and cut it down to size.

Now that this topic is active again I'm guessing you'll get more suggestions so don't run out shopping just on what I say. Give this a little time and see what advice others have to offer.

Back