Exterior foundation Prep

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwildly

Reaction score
Hello, I am preparing my exterior foundation so I can repaint it. It is poured concrete and I have a basment. I started by scraping it with a paint scraper and got off I could that way. Next I found some cracks while scraping. I then got a 2000PSI power washer to get the rest of the paint off and to clean the cracks. I then the next day washed the cracks and foundation with dulited muriatic acid. Then after it dried I filled and covered the cracks with hydraulic concrete. Now my question is I am going to be using self priming masonary paint, but should I use something before I paint like a sealer or something? I really cant wait 30 days for something to set up before I paint because I need to regrade around it as soon as I can. Thanks for any help.

Good question, wish I had the correct answer for ya but, one thing to note is that I would have used some type of butyl instead of hydraulic cement. Cement patch will reoccur with the freeze/thaw.

there's no paint that's permanent,,, suggest coating walls w/thoroseal,,, be certain ALL existing paint's gone even if you have to rent a grinder & diamond wheel.

coat the walls THEN seal the cracks,,, hyd cement's not flexible & will recrack,,, use sika's polysulfide OR polyurethane - it comes in colors.

ps - 2000psi ain't big enough - use 3,500psi & 4gpm rated unit w/turbo nozzle.

Latest posts

Back