Carrier furnace fan won't switch on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you found the splice, I was starting to question myself. :eek:
Ok, based on what I'm reading you should be able to turn the fan switch to "on" on the tstat (thermostat) and the fan will run. It maybe that you have to have your furnace in a mode (heat or A/C) for the fan to work. You don't necessarily have to have it set so it cools or heat but, just in that mode/setting.

If not, we are back to
- bad tstat
- a break in the green wire from tstat to splice
- or a break in the blue wire from splice to furnace

Without a multi-meter, we will have to start swaping wires to eliminate the problem.
Let me know.

well, the good news is the fan works in "on" position with no heat. I tightened the nut on the furnace where blue goes in and it worked. HOWEVER, the heat now doesn't go on!! I've tried waiting a while before switching to heat, tried turning power off to furnace and on again, but no heat. What color wires are for heat? Maybe I need to adjust those too???? Maybe they got unhooked while I was fiddling with all that electrical tape surrounding the splice. Yikes, I'm going crazy.

Your going crazy? I'm was losing my mind over this until you confirmed the splice. LOL.

I was just about to edit my previous post and tell you to check the connections at the splice as the blue/green connection is in question.

Here's the breakdown on wire color/function.
Red = 24VAC
White =Heat
Green = Fan
Yellow = A/C
I'll let you do the interpretation for your particular situation. Good Luck.
Check all terminals both furnace and tstat and recheck the splice connections.
This wire is thin guage solid core and breaks easily when twisted in a splice.
If you want to invoke the heat as we did the fan, touch your jumper wire between the W & R terminals in the furnace and the heat will come on.

ok, amazing news, fan works, heat's back on! I respliced the two white wires with a wire nut (it was previously coated with a gooey substance), redid the electrical tape and voila it worked. I hope the wiring can keep it together as the weather's gotten cooler here again.

Thanks for all your help you guys! You probably saved me a $500 repair bill. I've also learned some valuable info about the workings of this monstrous machine and tstat. Thanks again, have a great weekend.

Glad to hear your up and running. Sorry it took me so long to troubleshoot the problem.

Latest posts

Back