leaking vinyl patio door at base

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick W

Reaction score
Hello, This is my first visit and I'm anxious to talk to you all. I do alot of my own home repair but had a small addition installed by a walk a way contractor. He left me with a mess. One problem I have is a leaking patio door. The door leaks at the base where it was improperly chalked. I confirmed this with a garden hose. My prob is the door is completed with plaster etc. so it would be a real job to remove it. I had Pella out and they confirmed that there end was ok. Now I need to find away to seal under the vinyl base w/o clogging the weep holes.

Who was the work done by, you should have a warranty regarding this and shouldn't be having to correct the problem yourself.

No warrantee as contractor walked off job w/o completion. I did turn him into state and county license people.

Removing the door and properly flashing and sealing it is the number one solution.
If that is not an option you are willing to consider then about the only thing you can try is to caulk it from the exterior.
Just remember caulk should never be your primary water control measure.

Thanx, My prob is door is finished, plaster etc.. Only have 1/8" to work with at floor level

Back