Is siding with contoured foam siding needed if going over asbestos based shingles?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsduck

Reaction score
We got a few quotes to get vinyl siding placed over our existing asbestos-based shingles. All but one said we would need the siding with the foam all ready attached to it. The one who didn't says it's not needed since we are putting it over the existing asbestos-based shingles which is a good insulator and he will be putting on an insulator (with insect repellent) between the wall he is putting up and the shingles, thus we wouldn't be gaining value from the foam.

To me it makes sense but my wife's view is why is everyone else selling us the foam-based and telling us it's so much better than siding without the backing. So, who's right and why?

Why would you not remove the old siding? If there is going to be an air gap between old and new, I think the foam backed would be a waiste of money and welcome to the site.

Why would you not remove the old siding?

To put it simply, cost. Not sure if it's a state or federal issue but if we were to remove the asbestos based shingles, they have to be triple bagged, special suits need to be worn, we would be responsbile if anything were to happen (eg, shingle shattered by accident and the asbestos were to be airborne), disposal costs, not recommended we stay in the house while that part of the work is getting done, etc. Ideally we would like the shingles gone but it's a huge financial commitment which we can't do.

It might change from state to state but in most cases it is safe enough if the area is kept wet and the product is lowered not dropped but it still may be expensive, enough said.

Back