suddenly concerned during vinyl floor removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gghrt000

Reaction score
I started working on older vinyl floor removal today however it was extra difficult or the glue between the old vinyl and the flooring was tough and physical work. I noticed there were at least 3 layers of old vinyl in the closet area.

Looked in the web for easier removal and suddenly came across asbestos concern in those flooring materials. By that time, I already removed large part of the flooring and still lot of debris and part of them remain stuck in the floor and I did use broom to clean away small debris. If any of these layers of vinyl or substances has asbestos I could have very well disturbed it. I was using a cheap 7$ mask for paint which I dont believe is appropriate for asbestos. So I just immediately left the building at this time.

Looking at web, it says the asbestos in building material is phased out in 1980's and my condo is built in 1990. Using that info I inferred it might be safe I am not taking any chances.
I see bathroom has a 1 layer of vinyl and closet had a 3 layers of old vinyl.

Do you think it would it be a concern?
if it is ok, I still think I wont be able to finish the cleaning part myself, I got carpet installation people coming on middle of next week, I am going to ask them to finish off whatever I left.

If it might not be ok, I might do call asbestos services around the area to do some inspection.

Last edited:
Your only way to confirm that it is asbestos is to have it tested. Your exposure was minimal at best. We've all done it.

Keep the floor damp so the dust dosn't travel around the house. Not likely that you have asbestos and if you did it is more stable in tile than any other product. Worse if you were cutting with a saw or sanding it.

ok thanks, may be i can enter the building and get it damp. i did not saw or sand but hell i was pulling and tearing apart those vinyls. i am thinking to get a sample and bring it to lab for test just in case.

Not a bad idea. But keep in mind that tiles were a diy project for 30 or 40 years and lots of people worked with siding and sewer pipes made with asbestos but most of the bad news were the people working on insulation on heat ducts and pipe wraps.

ok it turned ot there is a lab nearby my work. Since I throw away most of the vinyls I only managed to get two different samples. Ideally I would have got samples from all 4. Results was e-mailed to me in less than hour and on one of them has 100% non fibrous and other one is 5% fiber glass + 62% non fib + 32% cellulose. Looks like an okay for me. I might have bit overreacted but better safe than sorry. Best way might have been just install over existing ones however i have no return point now so just gotta finish whatever left
overall it ws pretty good educational experience.:eek:

Thank you for the follow up. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to test the samples?

np, I did rush order within 4 hrs and it costed me 35$ per sample. so it is 105$,
I thought there were 3 samples in the bag when i handed out but turned out to be 4 according to attachment. So looks like they just did it anyways even I paid for 3.
However it is likely two of them are same. if regular it could have been even cheaper but did not ask.
Initially called the abatement service and they directed me to the lab. Abatement service said if it comes out positive they can serve the area and could cost arund 300-400$.

asbestos.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. They are only 40 minutes down the road from me.

Address showing here appears to be in LA. I went to San Jose which may be one of their branch.
I applied the patch skim coat over the floor yesterday. Floor was in disarray, and total mess some part are peeled off and some not. I did not want to continue peeling at all.
I did my best to vacuum the remaining debris and throw away any part of adhesives or old vinyl that are loose but still attached to floor and started laying the skim coat as smooth as possible. After done it looks fairly good. It was so much messy job I threw away everything afterward.
So moral of the story is I will never attempt to peel off the old vinyl.

Last edited:
Vacuuming suspected asbestos is not a good thing. It is the air born fibers that are the issue. The vacuum is just blowing stuff everywhere. Even if you have a high quality HEPA filter in the vacuum the air discharge is still stirring up the room.

Back