Botched deck treatment

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
I have a deck that is just about one year old. I had a painter (or so I thought he was a painter) come and treat it with a Cabot's preservative. Well the guy really messed it up. There are spots, drip marks and overlap marks all over the deck. It looks like it has been there for ten years. When I asked him about it he suggested that he would come back and spot sand it and retreat those areas. Before I have him do anything I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. It is a real mess.

Spot sanding may work, it may also make it worse. and pix would help as well as type of wood.

I will post pictures in a couple of days once I return to the house.

Sorry it took so long. Here are a few pictures. Keep in mind this deck is not even one year old yet. Any ideas on best approach to rectify would be appreciated.

image-1668615853.jpg

image-2087029986.jpg

There is a list of good looking wood that can be used for deck board and don't think pressure treated 2x6 is on it. We do it all the time but people have to understand that it has been graded for structural service. It will have ugle knots, cracks, cants, pitch runs and they have been cut from all parts of a tree. They may or may not have been dried before pressure treatment and may have absorbed more or less of the pressure treatment.
I would think you treat a deck with a perservitive to maintain the beauty of the wood.
I would have reccomended a solid stain after a nice hot summer evan if that means waiting 16 months.

What are your top three choices from that list of wood for decks?

After people look at all the different products and there prices they always come back to these 2x6s or yellow cedar deck boards that are a full 1" thick either 4' or 6" wide or red cedar.
After years of building these things I have never installed any of the real nice stuff. So I wouldn't be the guy to make any suggestion on what is the best, all I'm saying is it is what it is and use a solid colour stain.

In the Pacific Northwest 5/4 Cedar is the standard. also 2x4 cedar is common. For the good stuff, Teak or Mahogany. Ipe is real popular the past few years.
I would recommend a semi-transparent stain if you want an even color. Solid is nice too but you are going to be redoing it every few years.

Latest posts

Back