Please help with peeling paint/plaster

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcccboy

Reaction score
My wife, my 10 month old son and I currently live in an older house where we rent. We have noticed areas of peeling/cracking paint on the walls and ceiling as well as an area of peeling/cracking plaster that resulted from a roof leak (we live on the 2nd floor of a 2 story house) – the leak has been fixed, but not the plaster. Because we rent and don’t plan to be there long term and fixing the walls might require more hassle for us since we’ll probably have to evacuate our son, is there a quick and temporary fix that we can do ourselves (ie use special wallpaper?) to cover critical areas? We are mainly concerned with protecting our son and just want something temporary. I am not super-handy, but am not incompetent, so maybe there is something I can do myself? We currently just put clear packing tape over areas of peeling paint.

Thank you!

You could screw pieces of plywood and catch the joists behind the plaster. Since it is already damaged, I don't know how bad it would be when or if you take it down.
I would contact the landlord and have them fix it asap. Not that you have not tried, but that is the best option, just remind them you will win a big lawsuit if something does happen to your child. Be nice first, then try your options, with documentation and pictures.

Latest posts

Back