Drill Bit Problem Driving Me Crazy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckywinks

Reaction score
I have a new Ryobi drill and bought a new Bosch concrete masonry drill bit set to drill holes into the wall of the exterior of my lath and plaster built garage. I notice from time to time when using the drill that the bits simply do not seat properly and they get stuck in the surface on this project and other easy jobs as well and the drill simply powers on. I've tightened the chuck as far as I can and it still doesn't hold the bit well enough. Is this normal, what's happening and why does this occur? It's frustrating and doesn't seem satisfactory performance to me.
Please help.

Last edited:
Do you have a drill with a key chuck or keyless? In both cases sometimes dust like you get from old lath plaster will work its way into the chuck and jam the jaws making them feel like they are tight when not. Take the bit out and hold the ring and run the drill forward and reverse a few times spinning the jaws in and out to loosen them up. You can also spray some light oil like WD40 in there when you do this to keep things working.

The reason I asked about keyless is they are nice and fast but IMO don’t get as tight as a keyed chuck. With a key I think you get a better feel when the jaws are sticking.

Thanks for the info Bud!

It's a keyless chuck that I simply hand tighten. This problem occured just as I began to start to drill. I've used the drill mostly for a Phillips screw bit and not to drill. I'm really surprised by this so will get it cleaned up and see how it goes for my next project.

This is a problem with keyless chucks, some drills may have better chucks but we put up with this. It is made worse with a masonary bit as it has lumps at the tip. When you hit a cavity or something hard it tends to lock up the drill bit making it slip. The other side is if you have a powerfull drill that holds the bit really good and the bit locks up in the hole, the drill will take you for a ride, hard on the wrist.

If you would start the hole with as small a bit you can get , drilling all the way through, then follow up with suceedingly larger drill bits until you reach the size you need, you will have more sucess

You mentioned that the "drill bits do not seat properly" Not sure what you mean but if you are pushing the drill bit all the way into the chuck until it hits bottom, this could be your problem. Do not allow the bit to hit the bottom when you tighten the chuck. Doing so sometimes prevents the chuck from getting fully tightened. Just pull it back a little off the bottom and then tighten.

Dave Mason

"Seating" or inserting the drill bit, same thing. That's a term I saw used elsewhere. Sorry for the confusion. All of this advice is helpful and much appreciated. I did start with a smaller bit and as it turned out I needed to work up to a larger size anyhow so it worked out. So now I understand in the future. I'm not so keen on having the drill flip around in my hands so I can live with some slippage from time to time.

Has anyone tried this new adhesive product called Instantbond! It's a concrete bonding agent ( among other surfaces) , good for attaching screws to masonry surfaces. I bought some for future projects to attach twine and screws to support vine plants along a cinderblock wall. I saw a video on YouTube and it looked pretty useful. http://www.instantbond.com/

Have a happy DIY weekend everyone!

Back