Front window rebuild or replace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisoldhumidhouse

Reaction score
Long story short this old humid house has seen some stuff. A wile back we had a break in though one of the ancient jalousie windows. Crook broke the lower hinge/glass retainers off the window frame. There are supposed to be 3 jalousie windows under one large window. The center window has been replaced many years ago by a rather large window shaker. The other 2 windows remained in tact. This window shaker is used to cool the entire 5/2 house. I have been toying with the idea of changing out the entire window with a hurricane window. During the last major storm we almost had the entire window blow in from the fames attached to the walls. it was not fun and id like to fix this right before we get another storm. I am curious as to what everyone here would recommend. I need to retain the window shaker as retrofitting a central ac system is out of the budget and this window shaker was replaced about 1 year ago. The winow measures 144"x77" roughly. The house has 12 more jalousie windows that I would like to replace as they are in various stages of failure. I have linked some pictures for visual aids.

http://imgur.com/1Xxd4xE
http://imgur.com/tOtbRVP

You need to consider that someone can get in through the a/c opening just as easily as those windows. Your issues are twofold. Security from perps and security from Mother Nature. Amazing what they got away with here in Florida back when.
If the window gives way during a hurricane, think about how much water and wind gets into your house. I would tear all of that out. Reframe for a few hurricane rated double hung or slider windows. Wall up the lower openings and replace the a/c unit with a ductless system.

I would at least look for another place for the air conditioner even if you have to cut a hole in the side of the house, more out of sight and wrap that with bars for secrurity. Then look at windows.
And welcome to the site.

Back