Repair Antique Mirror Hook

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smartkid

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a new member of the forum. I've browsed through threads here in the past to get advice on some DIY projects but only registered today because I wanted to post an issue that hopefully you all can provide guidance on.

I have an antique wall mirror that collapsed. The mirror itself is fine and the frame is structurally sound. The only piece that is damaged is the part that hooks to the wall. (Please excuse for a lack of more technical terms when describing things.)

Because it is an antique, I don't want to make drastic changes to the back of the mirror but I need to find a solution for being able to hang it back on the wall without risking it falling down again. I can actually still hang it up in its current condition but it doesn't seem stable and would likely fall down.

The link contains photos of the mirror, (including what the back looks like):
https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/m...sh-teak-table-wall-mirror-shelf/id-f_2235402/

And attached is the photo of the damaged piece.

Thanks!

IMG_0079.jpg

I am far from an antiques road show host but something made in 1960 is a nice piece but I don’t think making a repair to the hanger will affect the value that much. Again that’s just IMO. The back is Masonite and stapled on. That plug thing looks to be Bakelite an old time plastic known to be brittle.

I would go to the hardware and buy a screw on hanger and mount it just above that thing.

Latest posts

Back