Low E coatings on windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinahen99

Reaction score
We live in Southwest, Florida which is quite hot and humid during summers and mild in winter. We are looking at PGT Winguard 700 Series or the Sentinel Windows by CGI. The front of our home faces north, back yard south and bedrooms face east. The west side of our house is garage. I've pretty much selected the windows (casements and single hung) with grid patterns and thought the hard part was done until I realized I had to select the type of glass. Because of Florida building codes, we are going to install impact windows, laminated glass with low e glass. I got samples of the glass (gray, bronze and clear) and had pretty much decided on the clear until I drove around yesterday and noticed how the clear really looks minty green. Very similar to what I'm used to seeing on office buildings. Now I'm very confused about what to select. Our home is older and more traditional and am worried the green tint will look too modern. Our room if a taupe grey and we plan to paint the house in the grey/taupe tones as well. We have alot of rust, brown, gray brick leading up to the house as well. Am thinking about the whole look after the window installation, with paint, roof, etc.. (the aesthetics). My window contractor is very much encouraging me to go with the low E clear, of course for the energy efficiency benefits for Florida, but he says the gray and bronze will look dark. Of the gray and bronze, I liked the bronze best. Does the use of white shutters and blinds make the low E windows look even more green? Are there different types of low E coatings that are still very efficient but do not read as minty green? Would I be happy with the bronze tint? Arghh!!! I'm confused and must decide by tomorrow. Another thing I'm concerned about is on the front of our house we will be replacing a large picture window with two flanking casements. In my research, I've read that the thickness and size of a piece of glass with low e coating might look different that a smaller window with the same coating. I'm afraid that the picture window will look too green, compared to other windows. I know that I need the protection of the low E, but am just wondering if they make a coating these days that appears less green, more clear. I know PGT uses the SolarBan 70XL standard on their windows. Could their product just be more green than others? Does the solarban 60 look less green. I'm willing to give up a little efficiency if I can get less tint. HELP!!!!!

:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Ask your contractor to give you addresses of houses with the different glass options and be sure you like what ever option you choose before the orders placed. Don't be pushed into making a decision to quick, lots of window companies out there.

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have been blind sided, you should have had weeks to decide.

It's apparent that the color is a big issue for you and that you are sensitive to even the hint of color that the glass has. So go gray...at least it's neutral.

Back