possible leak..? -pics attached

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edanthony

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm not sure what to do with my ceiling. The paint is frequently falling from the ceiling and the area seems to be growing and getting worse. There is no sign of water dripping, but am worried that perhaps water could be gathering in the area due to the flat roof above it.

I was planning on giving it a scrape and sand and few coats of ceiling paint. Can anyone recommend something else, or would a few coats of paint be sufficient?

Cheers,

Eddy

DSCF7853.JPG

DSCF7854.JPG

DSCF7856.JPG

save the painting until you fix the roof issue. If you have a flat roof, you need to fully inspect it for leaking. Look for bubling, cracking or small tears. Only a pinhole is needed to drain onto your ceiling.
Good luck in your search.

Thanks mate! There are definitely issues with the roof. Too big of a job at the moment. There is a little tare on my 'flat' (black tar) roof right around the area of the damaged ceiling. I could post a pic if you would like to see it.

Would you recommend filling the tear and then removing the damaged areas of the ceiling and replacing it with drywall or something?

I would fix the roof as it will just happen again, as you know, then remove any damaged sheetrock and replace any wet insulation. Once fiberglass insulation gets wet, it looses r-value due to compression and debrie filling the voids. not to mention you can grow molds and mushrooms.
And you will also be able to see the roof deck from underneath to see if it is still leaking.

I agree, fix the roof first. and if it is a small area, remove the shingles, rolled roofing, etc. and the felt at and around the emediate area. reapply new felt (90 lb.) then your particular type of roof material, apply some henry's (roof tar) at all stages and make sure you are good and sealed up... then open up the rock inside. gypsum will seperate between the two layers of paper as its a porus material, you may not physically see it till you take it down. mold is not your friend and wet insulation and gypsum are excellent breaders for mold...

good luck

Back