new outlets above a buffet - do I need a new circuit?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm installing a built-in buffet in my dining room that will require the relocation of an existing outlet. I've been thinking of simply elevating it by about 30" so that it's above the buffet where I could plug in a lamp. Then I'd like to put in a new outlet on the opposite side of the buffet to mirror it.

I had an electrician in to quote on this, and he insisted that a new circuit would be needed because it would now be classified as a counter-top (even though it's not in the kitchen)... Could anyone tell me if this is indeed the code in Ontario?

Thanks.

If there are no heating elements involved and there is only heat lamps, I see no need for a dedicated circuit. If heating elements are involved you will need a dedicated circuit, Check the manuel that came with the buffet. It will tell you what size circuit is needed if elements are invloved.

Thanks for the input. This buffet is basically a piece of furniture; "sideboard" or "cabinet with a counter-top" is probably a better description. I'm actually just talking about electricity for a couple of table lamps (probably with 40 or 60W bulbs) that I'd like to put on top.

Frankly, a dedicated circuit seems like overkill to me, but I was thinking the fact that the cabinets/sideboard is going to be physically attached to the wall (which is why I can't have the outlets at the normal height) might affect which rules apply...

Thanks for the input. This buffet is basically a piece of furniture; "sideboard" or "cabinet with a counter-top" is probably a better description. I'm actually just talking about electricity for a couple of table lamps (probably with 40 or 60W bulbs) that I'd like to put on top.

Frankly, a dedicated circuit seems like overkill to me, but I was thinking the fact that the cabinets/sideboard is going to be physically attached to the wall (which is why I can't have the outlets at the normal height) might affect which rules apply...

Put the plug where you want it . your good to go. Every 100 watts is about 1 amp (rule of thumb)...don

Someone's trying to take advantage of you.
About $20.00 worth of materials. I'd leave the old outlets and just daisy chain off of them.

The code requires "at least one receptacle in a dining area forming part of the kitchen" (26-712(d)(vi)). If the area forms part of the kitchen then it must meet the same requirements as a kitchen counter receptacle.
Depending on the layout it may or may not be required.

Thanks for all the input. The dining room is completely separate from the kitchen (you have to walk through a hallway to get between them), so it would seem that kitchen rules should not apply. The good news is that I've since found an electrician who's going to do the work (no new circuit) for a much more reasonable price!

Back