Building a low deck.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
Legally, I can build a deck no higher than 1 foot 11.5 inches high with no permit needed.

So, I plan on building one that has a step then the deck. The deck will support a hot tub.

Any tips on building this?

I already have a deck, 8x8, 4 feet high. I plan to surround this existing deck with my new deck.

To avoid wasting lumber, how tall of a new deck should I build so that the existing stairs work. without much modification?

Legally, I can build a deck no higher than 1 foot 11.5 inches high with no permit needed.

So, I plan on building one that has a step then the deck. The deck will support a hot tub.

Any tips on building this?

I already have a deck, 8x8, 4 feet high. I plan to surround this existing deck with my new deck.

To avoid wasting lumber, how tall of a new deck should I build so that the existing stairs work. without much modification?

You say, "I already have a deck, 8x8, 4 feet high. I plan to surround this existing deck with my new deck."

Which were there a ladder way 4' down to grade, there would be approx. 7 risers.

You also say, "So, I plan on building one that has a step then the deck. The deck will support a hot tub."

If the proposed deck will be accessible from the existing deck, with a single step down, the proposed deck will need to be approx. 3' above grade.

You say, "I already have a deck, 8x8, 4 feet high. I plan to surround this existing deck with my new deck."

Which were there a ladder way 4' down to grade, there would be approx. 7 risers.

You also say, "So, I plan on building one that has a step then the deck. The deck will support a hot tub."

If the proposed deck will be accessible from the existing deck, with a single step down, the proposed deck will need to be approx. 3' above grade.

Other way. The new deck will be no more than 1' 11.5''. I am trying to figure out how far from the 4' high deck to make it so that the current stairs can be used, but the bottom is cut away to make it work.

That will depend upon the direction of the ladderway and the height of the risers.

Thanks.

So a deck 21" above grade would fall within the standards, would a railing also be required?

I would make it self supporting because of the weight and independent support required for the hot tub.

I built my deck that supports my hot tub. I second the suggestion above of making the section at least free standing that supports the tub. That why there are no questions about the strength of all the supporting structure. Keep in mind a Hot tub like mine 6 person will weigh about 800 pounds empty and 6000 pounds full. Add another 1000 for people and the weight of the deck and furniture also. The 800 pound empty figure is important unless you are setting the tub with a crane or lift of some kind. Keep in mind hot tubs have removable sides that are needed to do service or repairs.

Thanks.

So a deck 21" above grade would fall within the standards, would a railing also be required?

I would make it self supporting because of the weight and independent support required for the hot tub.

I built my deck that supports my hot tub. I second the suggestion above of making the section at least free standing that supports the tub. That why there are no questions about the strength of all the supporting structure. Keep in mind a Hot tub like mine 6 person will weigh about 800 pounds empty and 6000 pounds full. Add another 1000 for people and the weight of the deck and furniture also. The 800 pound empty figure is important unless you are setting the tub with a crane or lift of some kind. Keep in mind hot tubs have removable sides that are needed to do service or repairs.

Not sure if one is required, but I plan to put one in.

21 inches would work.

The deck will be free standing.

Back